Romi 13x40

3strucking

Registered
Registered
i have purchased a romi 13x40 lathe made in the 1980's. I have a friend who is a machinist who said they were made in Brazil and are good lathes. I can't find any info searching the inter web. Any help would be nice.

i have purchased a romi 13x40 lathe made in the 1980's. I have a friend who is a machinist who said they were made in Brazil and are good lathes. I can't find any info searching the inter web. Any help would be nice.
Howdy Rightway1974!

Your buddy is right, Romi is a Brazilian company. Nowadays, they manufacture CNC machine tools. I don't think they make manual machines presently, but I'm pretty sure they have done so in the past. If you are located in the US, Google "ROMI USA" and you will find their US headquarters. They are in either Kentucky or Ohio - can't remember which. Naturally, they are a large company in Brasil - been around for 50 or 60 years! If you're not in the US, I would contact them in Brasil and find a distributor near you. They might stock parts for your lathe, you never know! I'm pretty sure they export pretty much world-wide. I've never operated a Romi, but I remember hearing that they are very good machines.

Best of luck with your machine. If you can, post a photo. I would be very interested to see it.

Old Squire

Tahlequah, OK / Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma

I am intrigued by your machine. Romi, as it turns out was selling manual lathes as late as 2006. One fellow got a quote in '06 for a nicely outfitted lathe (seems like I read it was a 1440 or maybe a 1450.) The quote was around 15K. Not too bad really for a good machine. I now recall that I have heard them compared to Nardini. Also, I found out that Romi made machines badged with the "Bridgeport" and "Do-All" names. Interesting, huh?

I'm sort of a machine tools junkie and I love to learn about machines we don't see here in the US everyday.

Old Squire

Tahlequah, OK / Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma

It's actually labeled as a profit master. PM 13x40. The guy I bought it from said it was made by romi.

I know this is on older post but I'd like to put in my 2 cents. In the job shop I was working at we bought a brand new 13X40 DoAll-Romi lathe as a tool room lathe in 1982. It is an excellent machine for it's size, accurate, versatile, and powerful enough to take a decent cut. It was our go to machine for accurate work. It was so good and in demand we bought another in 1985-6, only 60 inches long and with a taper attachment. Both were equipped with Accu-Rite DRO's, Aloris AXA tool posts, 6" Buck Adjust-true chucks, and Royal lever style collet closers, and they shared 8" Cushman 4 jaw. The Accu-Right readouts had glass scaled that were prone to damage, and coolant contamination, and were eventually swapped out for Newall systems. We acquired a used but nice13X60 around 2005 and set it up the same way. Although not as accurate as new, all three are still being used today.

I looked at a Romi before I bought my Clausing, nice lathes.

Back