Rong Fu RF-31 RF31 Drum switch & motor wiring

Ha! Thanks. I've looked for a few hours and cannot find any reference to a drum switch numbered like the one I got. The replacement ones are all labeled the "new" way. It is the EXACT same part number as the old one, it's just labeled different. Everything I found on how to wire this switch had the old labels. There are plenty of drum switch wiring diagrams, but none that tell me what the connections mean on this particular switch. I also don't know what the wires from the motor are, which might help me figure this out.
Thanks for the help. I can wait for the sketch, so help the others and let me know when you get a solution. Let me know if there's anything I can do in the meantime to help.

It's on post #50
Go look at post #40 if you need to review
Edit: colors are blk, wht for main and red for start leg

Last edited:
OK, everything is wired up. I did not connect the yellow wire at the switch or junction box. It might need to be switched with the red if the machine runs backwards, correct? Should I cover it with electrical tape? I want to leave the connector on.

I got no continuity across the plugs when the switch was in the OFF position and about 2 Ohms in FWD and REV.

Is there anything I should test before I plug it in?

Let me take a quick look- ok , you are using black, white and red.
Yes that sounds ok, try it out-
If you need to invert the direction swap the black and white. You can do that at the motor or the switch. - yellow not used at all.
switch 1 = blk or wht
switch 5 = wht or blk
switch 9 = always red
switch 2 & 4 = power 240v
jumper wire from 8 to 10

Last edited:
SUCCESS! Thanks!

Do you think I could draw up a wiring diagram and post it over in the Rong Fu section for others? I'd link this post and credit you as well. I didn't see any replacement switches that match the old switch wiring, so it might be helpful to anyone else who has to get a new switch.

How did you figure this out, if you don't mind me asking? None of my semi-educated/wild-ass guesses were even close.

I guess it's ok as long as you point out that the switch is a special type and include the truth table. Unfortunately it's hard to tell what
you are going to get when you order parts from China. As you found out. Fortunately the truth table matched the switch in this case.
But initially I didn't trust it, that's why I had you ring it out.
Most of the switches sold as "Baomain" on Amazon are of a more universal type
but it requires a number of jumper wires added- yours is actually easier to install

The answer to the second question is : lots of experience :)
You need two things:
1) an understanding of how this type of motor works and reverses, ID the wires
2) the truth table for the switch in hand, and decipher what it means
In short, you create a mental picture, and the rest is simple

Last edited:
Oh, I would definitely point out that this switch is different.

I bought it here:
https://www.bluerocktools.com/repla..._y_bT8lJfSu8Z1fvEFqNfx6iQkCqa-GsaAiM1EALw_wcB
switch vendor.PNG

I'm sure it was an import from China. I thought I was getting the same exact switch. Shoulda paid more attention to the photo. I did not get the blue jumper shown, BTW.

Was that chart in post #47 a truth table?

Thanks for your help, I rally appreciate it!

You're very welcome, and yes, the chart in post #47 is the truth table
Just curious- what do you plan on using the reverse for? Power tapping?

SUCCESS! Thanks!

Do you think I could draw up a wiring diagram and post it over in the Rong Fu section for others? I'd link this post and credit you as well. I didn't see any replacement switches that match the old switch wiring, so it might be helpful to anyone else who has to get a new switch.

How did you figure this out, if you don't mind me asking? None of my semi-educated/wild-ass guesses were even close.
Could you link to the wiring diagram you made up on the Rong-Fu forum? IT kind of reminds me of "Hu Flung Dung" :p I am also trying to replace a drum switch that has the newer style markings same as yours and I could not locate a switch like the old one. I will probably have to ask for Marks help, But I will see if your diagram helps first. I have read this whole thread and learned a lot, Mark is an electrical Genius for sure.

You're very welcome, and yes, the chart in post #47 is the truth table
Just curious- what do you plan on using the reverse for? Power tapping?
I'm not really using the reverse for anything. I use it when I use the center finder, but not for any particular reason. If I find I need it, I at least have it.

Back