Rongfu 45 not what they used to be??

Fc911c

Registered
Registered
Hi

Just received this mill on Monday and not sure what to think. I bought one of these mills about 10 years ago cnced it and then sold it a few years later. I don’t remember the quality being like this, the castings are quite porous, also the ways are very roughly machined. It also seems like the head does not travel down far enough. The table is not machined flat as can be seen by photo. The table x axis is very good but the Y direction has ruts in multiple areas and has a one a half thou difference from end to end.

The machine was loaded with grit and machine dust, a lot more than I remember and way more than other machines I bought in the past few years including Chinese machines. I also noticed that no were on the mill does it say maid in Taiwan. Could this be a fake or clone. I will not mention where I purchased it from yet, but I will say it’s a major company. I also emailed Rongfu for there input, I hope to get a reply.

I cleaned all the screws nuts ways and adjusted gibs. The x axis moves pretty freely but the Y feels stiff even with gib on the loose side and screw turning freely. Could this be the rough machined ways causing this?

I’m still checking out the machine to see what else might be wrong but so far I’m seeing a many issues.

I would appreciate any input on what you guys may think. I would think that the table would have to be ground under warranty at the very least or at worst returned.

Thanks for any help advise.

505639C2-783C-4700-891D-1D315AF42311.jpeg

D1F6B466-9789-40BA-A28F-B468B6362EBF.jpeg

89FC01C2-80D3-4C69-BE35-C934F4E89F50.jpeg

33E2BF1E-4DC6-4137-9781-227CC3299333.jpeg

FCAAD9FD-E80B-4569-A622-B42706E1432D.jpeg

E74418DE-6370-4FFD-A808-46D279BD35C3.jpeg

A393BE14-FEE9-4BC8-8C01-E1B7144BB53E.jpeg

9932F64B-95BA-4885-BF49-B39236D9637E.jpeg

FF4CA70A-D48D-4396-8465-EC9F64143867.jpeg

C7D466C9-57DF-4354-B341-E24C0048DBBD.jpeg

Last edited:
Some things seem very unusual for sure. The ways seem to have heavy milling marks with scraping on top. -Does not seem right at all. If memory serves, RongFu was one of the first companies to mass produce the square column mill and they were always made in Taiwan -and always cost a good bit more than other common brands. Does it actually say RongFu on it somewhere or, is it conveniently misspelled as RungFu -thus making it a counterfeit. I hope you've contacted the seller.

Ray

Very disapointing to see this. This machine is one I felt I could buy and trust the quality to be there. I know some of there machinery is being made in China, some in Taiwan, and some made in China and assembled in Taiwan. China can make some good stuff too. I hope they step up to the plate. Especially Since your a return customer

Reactions: rwm
Hi Ray,

Thanks for responding, what I have noticed is that the tag on head says Rong Fu industry co, not Rong Fu Industrial Co. I think there might some deception here. I sent an email to MSC about poor quality but will wait to mention If it’s a real Rong Fu.

Other than the poor grind on table and the sloppy machining of the ways it’s pretty accurate. I was really disappointed to see the poor quality on what is supposed to be the Cadillac of mill drills. This might me a case of buyer beware as they gave me a really good price $3000 with tax and delivery it was hard to pass up. I did confirm that it was a Rong Fu in writing before I placed order. If I don’t get satisfaction I will let the Bank handle it, I have more than enough documentation.

The real problem with the machine is that it’s very hard to move the Y axis. I loosened the gib and removed the screw and the y axis still has a lot of drag, so it has to be the ruff machining. I could live with the some of the issues but not having smooth travel is not going to cut it. My feeling is they tried to hide the porous castings with ruff machining and made matters worse.

Mark I hear what your saying I’ve looked at machines costing less made in China and the quality was much better. Looks like it’s going back one way or the other.

Hopefuly it s a one off and your satisfied in the end so you"ll be a third time customer down the rd! May take some time.

I think it is a legit current production Rong Fu RF-45 (built in September of 2017), but more than likely it is now being manufactured from a different source. I wouldn't be surprised if they are now made in mainland China. I always notice things like over spray, poorly finished castings, rough finished parts, grit, etc. as telltale signs typically encountered with lower priced Chinese products. The fit an finish looks like something I would get at Harbor Freight. At that price I seriously would look at returning it if possible, I wouldn't even consider trying to repair it. Not a lot on the Rong Fu site as far as RF-45 pictures, description and where they are made. An older YouTube video of a RF-45 shows numerous difference between yours and what was offered a few years ago. I do recall when Enco was going out of business these were being offered in the $2400 range for the single motor speed model. If you can return it, maybe look at the PM-833T as a comparative machine which is better built, or possibly the PM-835S as an alternative.

One thing to keep in mind when ordering online (and I have seen this from others ordering from MSC), is that the pictures do not reflect the product, often the vendor may be different, the descriptions do not match the product, and/or products are now made in a different country then listed.

Well so far I haven’t received an answer to my concerns from MSC I’ll give it one more day before I take any action. I did some closer inspection today and I think another part of the problem might be the lack of frosting on mating surfaces. I did some light stone on the y ways and cleaned everything up and the saddle was moving more freely dry. Soon as put on the way oil it actually got worse like there was suction. Is this normal or a product of two smooth surfaces sliding together? There’s no flaking on the V surfaces on base or saddle or the gib.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks

Wow for 3k I’d return that thing ain’t worth scrap. Those surfaces are all milled and looks to be to fast. Those scrape marks are not for surfacing. It’s just a illusion. If anything it’s flaking for oil retention but those tools marks will do better for that.:oops:
I would bet your problem with with your axis is from milling the casting and they’ve released stress. No way a crappy casting gets milled and not gonna move. If they would of actually scraped it you wouldn’t be here.
For that kind of money it would be sent back. Why give yourself a headache and all that work.

Back