Rongfu 45 not what they used to be??

Mksj I agree with what you say. I am leaning towards returning it but so far no reply to my emails. It’s to bad they machined it that way because other than that it appears that everything else is actually quite good. the gearbox is very quiet even at 2500rpm. Tram is with in a thou, spindle has zero run out.

I did originally set out to get a PM 940 but no stock till maybe October and needed something sooner. I also considered the 833t but after taxes and shipping I didn’t feel spending a grand more for a lighter machine was worth it to me.

Hi Cadillac

3k is a lot but where can you get a 45 mill for less these days with taxes and delivered I looked around. I agree that it’s not scraped far from it and MSC should be ashamed for sending me this, and then on top of it ignoring my concerns. If they don’t make it right I will file a dispute with the bank, I haven’t lost one yet .

Mksj the only difference I see is that it’s the power down feed model, other wise there the same.

Is There a possibility some cosmoline may have intruded along your leadscrew.

Mark I completely disassembled and cleaned everything, all the screws, nuts, gibs and ways on the table and apron. I wanted to make sure to rule those things out. Thanks for the suggestion though.

If you look at the video there are small but significant differences. I do not have a full photo set, but you will notice that the breather tube is different yours has over spray, same for the oil level site window. Also seems that the mechanism for inclination is different. A whole slew of minor difference, but it all adds up to a different production facility and much worse QC. If it is still made in Taiwan I would be shocked, I would ask for a return based on the porosity of the castings and the poor machining of the table. I just wouldn't spend that kind of money for that level of quality. I understand the cost balances of the equation, my last mill was a Optimum BF-30 at a similar price (they now run 5K) made in China under German supervision. The overall finish and casting where far better, but had numerous QC issues, some very serious. I learned my lesson on that one and eventually got rid of it. I bought a Taiwanese knee mill (Acra LCM) and a Taiwanese lathe (1340GT), the difference is not subtle. Weight is not the only equation in the mix, but I understand that often there is a hard budget ceiling. In either case I trust the machines from PM, and that you get service, a commodity that is the exception to the rule these days. I can also feel your frustration and expectation for the RF-45, it should have been a better made machine. So goes the world down the toilet.

Thanks Mksj good advise. Well who ever they sell it to next and you know they will, a least it will be clean. Or maybe I could get 50% off junk sale.

If they don’t have a place of origin it’s not even China quality. At least the stuff they may be proud of has a China sticker on it:rolleyes:
I would think being on the eastern coast you’d have access to the old iron that won’t disappoint. Getting half a machine for twice the price with three times the headaches doesn’t sound like a good deal to me??good luck though!

Back