Rons' Mastiff

Here is what happens Ron. While you are lapping SS to aluminum with compound the pressure requires is not very much. What actually happens is you go too far. The valve is actually seated but the spring tension is too light to hold the seal under the required pressure. It takes some real concentration to get it correct. Been there, done that.

"Billy G"

Ordered some 12 tooth pinoin wire from McMaster Carr as they didn't have any 2 DP 10 tooth I got 12 tooth which comes out to 7/16th outside dia and .375 PD.

Someone suggested increasing the size if the gears to make up for the extra teeth so I increased the depth of the gears from .3125 to .375.

I not happy with the flow rate but it does have quite a bit of pressure to it as I put my finger over the output port and it took quite a bit of pressure to stop the flow. I'm not sure I ever really stopped it completely. I think it will work ok.

I fabricated the pump body with some bronze and brass Took these and made valve body.

DSC03122.jpg

After I squared up the gaer part of the body I drilled it side ways 3/16th and put a 3/16th piece of brass through it fro the suction and exit ports. I turned a piece of 1/2 in brass to 7/16 for the shaft bearing and silver soldered it all together. I made 4 pump bodies before I got a good one. Kept making silly mistakes. Heres a ad one but shows how the pieces were made.

DSC03123.jpg

These care the gear parts and the pinion wire.

DSC03125.jpg

And the completed pump.

DSC03126.jpg

Thanks for looking In.

Nice work Ron. The flow rate should be OK, as long as it is not a lot less than called for. Missed ya pal.

"Billy G"

Thanks Bill. Yeah I've had my head to the grindstone with the valves and trying to get a pump that worked.

My son and I are soldering up a Hall Effect circuit for ignition too.

Ron

Ron that's a fantastic job. The skills exhibited here I can only wish to attain.

Great work!

drs23, Don't sell yourself short. I had the same thoughts about my skills as you when I started 5 yrs ago. Just keep at it and you'll get there.

Ron

drs23, Don't sell yourself short. I had the same thoughts about my skills as you when I started 5 yrs ago. Just keep at it and you'll get there.

Ron

Thanks for the encouragement Ron. My friend Tom is a Class A machinist and comes by to help me with some of the things I don't feel qualified for yet. Every once in while I get a "Good job, Grasshopper" from him. It makes my day sometimes.

Back