Rose Index

aliva

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'm considering making a Rose Index.
Has anyone made one? If so any pointers?2501index.jpg

I was thinking about this too. I think I will put in three clamping screws, in the hex contour, so that the workpiece can be mounted at the center of rotation, thus the height of the work relative to vise mounting does not change.

Let me guess, you saw this in a Mr. Pete video. I just drew the 2" up the other day. It is 90 percent done. It is a 4 step item. Starts as 3" Square X 1-1/2 thick. Step 1 is 8 sides at 90 degrees. Step 2 is 8 sides at 45 degrees. Step 3 is 8 sides at 22.5 degrees. Step 4 is 6 sides at 60 degrees.
I am not building this!!! See below.

I decided to go with 4 set screws. That way I can center the round in the index. I also drew up the Joe Pi gauge that glues to the front of a round object. He makes a point that the gauge doesn't have to be perfectly centered and playing with the drawings he is right. The reason for 4 pins is so that once the round is in the gauge, whatever you use to locate it with will be very close as you spin it around. The original works like a lathe dog. Put a one inch in a two inch hole and you have to alter the blocks or parallels between 1 and 2 inches in steps. With 4 screws and good eyes, you can easily get .030 or less which makes the setup quicker.

This is a work in progress, so it has been changed as follows: Step 1 combines the first two steps above. 8 sides at 45 degrees. Just doesn't make sense to duplicate the angles. Step 2 will be 8 sides at 22.5 degrees. Step 3 will be 6 sides at 60 degrees and step 4 will 5 sides at 72 degrees. The first step will be 1/2" instead of 3/8" so that makes the starting piece 1-1/8" thick.

Just my 2 cents. This is next months project.

Attachments

• center block.pdf
    69.3 KB · Views: 113
Both wrong. It will be 1-5/8" thick. Just went back to the CAD and looked at the new plans. Glad you caught that.

I will make a 1 inch version sometime. Under an inch I use a 5C spin indexer. PIA to set up. This will be faster for one-offs.

The 4 set screws move to the center of the first step. That is why I made it 1/2" thick

I am not sure I understand the utility of this device? How do you index the tool to the table? Or do you clamp it in the vise? I cannot seem to find the Tubalcain video.
Robert

Got it! I did not think to use a square to index the side. This looks like a great technique for stock larger than my 5C collet blocks can hold.
Robert

Using an adjustable parallel on the bottom is even better than a square on the side, even though I have used both. Joe pi showed how to make hexagon adapters for a 5C collet. Mr Pete just showed a way to make square adapters even faster. I am making the Harold Hall Tool Grinder and will use both methods for holding tool bits.

I got total TAS (tool acquisition syndrome) from that vid. I have some plates on the way to make one too. I’ve come to the same conclusion about the grub screws and am going with 3. I’m not sure I even want to do the hex etc because I could just use my digital angle gauge on the square outside to get the desired angle without doing any fancy machining. Lazy I guess.

Back