Rotary Internal Combustion Engine

Boojie

Registered
Registered
I’m curious if anyone here has ever built or worked with an air cooled Rotary Internal Combustion Engine such as was used on WWI aircraft. ( or knew someone who has). These are odd beasts considering the crankshaft is stationary and the block and pistons rotate around it.
Note I am NOT referring to a radial engine (in which the block is stationary).

Me thinks you guys are a little bit crazy. A person could get hurt playing with a thing like that!
Sure looks like fun.

Grumpy

The "visual effects" are due to the camera acting like a strobe light taking the individual frames of the video. In person you will not see that happening, it will just be a blur the whole time it is spinning.
But that does look like fun.

The "visual effects" are due to the camera acting like a strobe light taking the individual frames of the video. In person you will not see that happening, it will just be a blur the whole time it is spinning.
But that does look like fun.
Thanks for the explanation and I was Quite aware of this but i hope you can agree that does not negate the cool effects that are filmed in the clip! Fwi you could actually see this effect in person to some degree if you use a stobe light... the effects would be dependent on the speed of the light flashing along with the motors rpm.

Odd indeed, I think the original builders would have had suspenders and hats with straps under the chin ;)

I've heard about those engines- don't know how they do the fuel and ignition? Slip rings?

Many years ago I heard about these rotary engines. I thought it was a joke.
Who the heck would build an engine where the crankshaft is stationary and the propeller is bolted to the engine block?
I would imagine balancing this configuration was a nightmare.
It's problematic from many different angles.
But, wheels were square once :)

I saw a film from WWI in which some of the engines were spinning, never knew about it before that, what a concept.

Back