Rotary Phase Converter

Jim Hanrahan does a really good job of explaining things.

Last one I built I used a pony starter instead of a start cap. This also eliminated the need for a relay. Much less complicated.
You would still need to balance the legs with run caps using a clamp meter.
Please use a mag starter on your RPC, and check your thermals!
If you hardwire it to the panel you will need an electrical inspection (at least in Minnesota). Plugs you don't need an inspection. But it still needs to be safe.

If it would be helpful to anyone let me know and I will elaborate on the pony set up I built.

Note: I'm not an electrician, I just do my own electrical work and usually get it inspected.
Also, electricity is very dangerous stuff (shock and fire). If you aren't comfortable don't do it.

Daryl
MN

That's one thing I was wondering about, by the time you buy the caps, enclosure, switches, etc. are you into it almost as much as just buying something?

I bought one of these kits. I've been very happy with it.
That's the same people I bought my SPC from. Very cheap and very happy. Well under $100 and no whine.

If anyone's interested, I have a 7.5 hp RPC I'd like to be rid of.

Static ones are a little more portable, but you can only start one motor at a time (not typically an issue for the one man shop).
Not true. I have a single SPC powering both lathe and mill (and sometimes Kalamzoo 8CW). Because the SPC is configured for a 2 hp motor (mill) and the lathe has a 1 hp motor, I start the mill first. It then functions as an RPC for running the lathe. Once the mill is running, the SPC no longer comes into play as I start and stop the lathe.

That's one thing I was wondering about, by the time you buy the caps, enclosure, switches, etc. are you into it almost as much as just buying something?
If you already have the motor and you buy the kit, you are way ahead.

Here is my design

Not true. I have a single SPC powering both lathe and mill (and sometimes Kalamzoo 8CW). Because the SPC is configured for a 2 hp motor (mill) and the lathe has a 1 hp motor, I start the mill first. It then functions as an RPC for running the lathe. Once the mill is running, the SPC no longer comes into play as I start and stop the lathe.
You just made my point. You can't START them at the same time.

The static converter uses capacitors to simulate a third leg, but disconnects them once the motor is at full RPM.

The last thing I would want to do is use my mill's motor as a makeshift RPC. Much easier to use an RPC.

... by the time you buy the caps, enclosure, switches, etc. are you into it almost as much as just buying something?

That's one of the advantages of the pony set up. If you are a scrounger, or just can't afford the cost of buying the set up, you can do the entire thing pretty for cheap. All depends on where you are in life.

I continue to maintain that good work can be done safely, fun and affordably.

Daryl
MN

Back