Rotary table advice needed

motormech1

Kenny
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I’ve been looking at new Shars 10” rotary tables and used U.S. made stuff and noticed they’re in the same price range so I’m wondering if it’s worth holding out for a good used U.S. made one? Also, besides obvious physical damage, is backlash the only real concern with evaluating a used piece and, if so, how much is acceptable?

All rotary tables have a mechanism for backlash, so that's not much of a worry. I have a little Kamakura that's pretty old. I bought it because I thought I'd have a good chance with the postwar Japanese steel, seeing as how they really knew their business in that arena. I cleaned it up, painted it, the usual stuff, and got some really good SKF bearings for it on eBay. In the end, I am glad I ended up a high quality rotary table that runs nice and has a good drive mechanism and gears. I might have $300 and a couple hours on the workbench in it, so I'm happy.

IMAG0076.jpgIMAG0250.jpg

Ok cool, thanks John. There’s a pretty nice 12” Bridgeport 2 hrs away. They’re asking $550. Looks pretty damage free, clean table.

There is not much to go wrong with them apart from the obvious table damage or rust. Hard to wear one out otherwise. Dings can be stoned flat and a clean and oil does wonders. I wouldn't take a chance on new Chinese stuff.

There’s a pretty nice 12” Bridgeport 2 hrs away. They’re asking $550.

Not a bad price.
What mill is this to be used on?..... a 12" rotary table is big and heavy.
It could eclipse the table on a small/medium mill.

Brian

It’s a Bridgeport clone with a 9x42 table. I know it’s a little big but thought it might be worth it. I think a 10” would be what I needed but I’ve never used one so I’m open to suggestions.

In my opinion there's a serious difference between the imported tables being offered by Shars and other online vendors, and older American iron. I have 2 rotary tables in the shop. The smaller one is an 8" Eron made in Japan in the 1980's. It uses bushings rather than ball bearings, and the backlash adjustment is chincy at best. The larger one is a12" Index (pre 1974 when they were bought out by wells). It weighs in at around 125 lbs, has real ball bearings, an excellent backlash adjustment feature, the ability to unlock the handwheel and manually position the table, and a fine adjustment that allows you to go down to minutes and seconds of a degree.

As for price I think you might want to negotiate on the Bridgeport. The asking price sounds high to me. I was able to pick up the Index table about 2 years ago for $100.00.

I have a 12” Bridgeport Rotary table. It’s very well built, and it’s hard to imagine being unhappy with this table, other than it is fairly heavy to manipulate. I paid $500 10 years ago.

I have a 12” Bridgeport Rotary table. It’s very well built, and it’s hard to imagine being unhappy with this table, other than it is fairly heavy to manipulate. I paid $500 10 years ago.
It sounds like the name "Bridgeport" commands a premium price.

It’s a Bridgeport clone with a 9x42 table. I know it’s a little big but thought it might be worth it. I think a 10” would be what I needed but I’ve never used one so I’m open to suggestions.

I just wanted you to be sure it wasn't too big, but it sounds like you're going in with your eyes wide open.
The other side of the coin is the battle to find ways to bolt things down to the rotary table.
So a bigger table is sometimes nicer.

If your machine (and you!) can handle it, then go for it!

Also poke around here for lifting suggestions; engine hoists, cranes, adjustable height movable tables, etc.
Rule #1 - Don't get hurt!

Brian

Back