Rotary table advice needed

The deal is, you can get a horizontal RT and a dividing head for vertical, then you have both capabilities.
That’s what I was kinda thinking already but wasn’t sure. But that’s why I’m here right? Lol

On a typical sized knee mill, my feeling is the utility of a horizontal/vertical is limited to about a 8" or smaller rotary table.
I've never seen a flip-flop 90 degree table bigger than 8"

That’ why I felt like I had to stay 10” or less but now, with everyone’s input, I think I’ll pursue the 12” Bridgeport, or another like it, for horizontal and later look for a dividing head set up.

I think you'll be happy with the big BP table. When the time comes and you need to do some rotating work on the vertical mount, pick up one of those Chinese made B&S clone dividing heads. They are pretty tight and work well once cleaned up.

In case you didn't pick it up, the difference between the two is how they make angles. Rotary tables are cranked to degrees, minutes, and seconds, such that a square is 90-90-90-90 and you're done. The dividing head is a different beast, it divides a circle into large prime numbers and base multiples. For example, a 7-sided polygon on a rotary table is a clusterfrick of 7x 51.428571428571428571428571428571 degrees, or something approximating 51° 25' 42.85714". Not very useful. On the dividing head, it's stupid simple- divide one circle by seven and you're done, with perfect precision.

For the amount of work they see, the Chinese B&S clone dividing heads are actually a good value in the $300 range. Better than the USA old iron alternative at $1200 with missing dividing plates and no fixtures. There, I've said it, this Chinese tool is a good value. Now I need to take a shower and wash the thought off of me.

@pontiac428 Thanks for the breakdown. I do know the difference but I don’t think I could explain it as well as you did. Lol Yeah, I noticed just in the last few minutes how expensive the old U.S. dividing heads are. I’m not even close to buying one but I’ll definitely check out the Chinese one. Thanks for the tip John.

Well, now that you've made it this far, the 4- and 6- sided 5C collet blocks are by far the easiest system to use for creating nice geometric 2, 3, 4, and 6-sided patterns. If I need a square or a hex in round stock that's under 1-1/8" that's a quick job. Curves still need a RT.

They’re definitely on my list of tools for the mill. They definitely seem like a no-brainer. This R/T will tap me out on tooling for a bit though. BTW, do they all use 5C collets? Seems like keeping everything R8 would save some money.

So from what I could dig up, correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s because they’re wider and shorter. Makes sense.

Ideally, owning a rotary table and a dividing head would be optimal. But if for some reason you only have the option of owning one, the RT can do dividing with the addition of the dividing plates and related hardware. As I mentioned, my RT does both horizontal an vertical and after purchasing it, I acquired some dividing plates and then fabricated the rest of the necessary hardware. It does a fine job for what ever I need. However it doesn't have the infinitely adjustable tilt that a DH has.
Just food for thought.
Here's a couple of photos of mine:
Ted

Attachments

• DSCN0409.JPG
    DSCN0409.JPG
    415 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN0947.JPG
    DSCN0947.JPG
    418.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN0942_01.JPG
    DSCN0942_01.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 19
I got a Troyke 12" rotary table at auction. Just looked up what they're going for on EBay & about passed out. Go with the Bridgeport. Sheesh $800 shipped on up in a hurry for a Troyke these days. Got mine on a whim & just - well I overspent on a few other things, so it helped offset things! Looking forward to checking out your haul or at minimum pics.....

@talvare Thanks for the info Ted. That Walter is beautiful. You restore it or did you get it like that?

I got a Troyke 12" rotary table at auction. Just looked up what they're going for on EBay & about passed out. Go with the Bridgeport. Sheesh $800 shipped on up in a hurry for a Troyke these days. Got mine on a whim & just - well I overspent on a few other things, so it helped offset things! Looking forward to checking out your haul or at minimum pics.....
Yeah, that’s why I thought I should jump on this one. Finding them local is hard too. I’ll definitely post some pics when I get it.

Back