Rotary table Chuck mounting plate

melsdad

Active User
Registered
Started on this project today. First I needed some T nuts for mounting. Ended up with 7 of them out of this bar of 4142 material e6uhudaq.jpg
tuhe7aza.jpg
Trueing them up after the other end was squared up.
ava2abe8.jpg
Drilled and tapped 1/2-13 thread
eme7y6yb.jpg
Now I need to make a chuck wrench.

sent from my hand held hickymajig

For the chuck wrench I used a bar end of 1" S7 steel. Milling the square in the 5C collet block with a .250 radius endmill.
deny8a6a.jpg

Cross hole drilled and reamed for .375 T handle.

uveryren.jpg

Ran into height issues with the vise for the T handle locking set screw. So got the angle plate out.
yjeqageh.jpg
zujyzany.jpg
3u3y2y7u.jpg

The finished product.
3anevege.jpg

Last edited:
Now I am able to clamp the chuck down to drill the mounting holes through it. First I had to get this beast of a table on the mill.

tusu2usy.jpg

The chuck is sitting on blocks for drill clearance. Notice the layout marks I used to align things up. I only had 3 small areas to get these holesin in.
4etanaje.jpg
All clamped ready to indicate and drill holes. Notice the bar in the chuck. This is turned to nice slip fit of the center hole of the table. I put this in the table and then tightened the chuck and it centered itself.
sedu6a9u.jpg
After the chuck was clamped I extended the bar above the jaws to indicate center.
5a8umavu.jpg

Holes are drilled and counterbored for 3/8-16 S.H.C.S
esade2ap.jpg
gy9upune.jpg

That was all for today. Tomorrow I will drill and tap the mounting plate to bolt the chuck to.

Last edited:
Good job so far. Thats one big boy rotary table! I like the radius end mill touch on the chuck key. I chamfered an angle in that section on the lathe when making my key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made a little more progress on the plate. 3/8-16 holes are in that hold the chuck to the plate.
qu3eny6u.jpg
I ran out of room in the z axis for the 4 holes that mount the plate to the rotary table. While it was in the chuck I center drilled the holes so I could locate them in the next operation.

This may not be a ground breaking way to do things but this tool works well to get location of the holes then the part is clamped down.
e7adazuh.jpg

Next up is to drill and ream the 4 clamping holes. The use of the ream will make sense soon.
etypaqyq.jpg
y9yhuhyr.jpg

This is what I did to locate center of the table. I have another 2" dia pin with a slip fit to the table center hole that sits just below the surface. I used the same ream as the other 4 holes (.5005) to put a hole in the center of this pin to locate with.

aba5y2y8.jpg

Verify center of table.

jynyzema.jpg

Next step is to make the plate with the offsets so I can mill the pockets for the clamping nuts.

Here is the plate that will locate the pockets for the clamping nuts.
upypepag.jpg

Center drilled holes for the locating pin.

jabubuzy.jpg

The plate is located on center and squared to the table. There is a reference line on the plate not visible in the picture.

ne4ezudu.jpg

Next I located the mounting plate for the milling operation. This is why I reamed the holes so I could locate them accurately. The pin in the picture is a slip fit in the mounting plate and is centered in the center drilled hole. On this pin the part pivots to a location I have layed out that the o.d. of the mounting plate stops at.

e5yrabyt.jpg

This is .002 deep test cut to see how things look. All is o.k. so far.

uby3abad.jpg

Roughing passes.

zubu6u4y.jpg

Finishing pass.

uvazana2.jpg

I decided to add a chamber to finish it off.

seza4e2a.jpg

It resembles the print and that is all I had time for today. Tomorrow I plan to finish the other 3 pockets.

yqe5ybaz.jpg

Can't seem to get this picture right side up.... sorry!

Last edited:
Back