Rotary Table Cleanup

Flat fender

Registered
Registered
I purchased this Phase 2 rotory table at an auction last fall (estate auction), had not been used in a few years (appears to have seen little use) and neglected, has surface rust. I have started soaking the rust with penetrating oil. My question is what do you guys use to polish the machine parts you restore ?, Scotchbrite pads ?. Looking at some of the restoration threads on this site I'm amazed at how clean & shiny they turn out.

IMG_1836.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG
I paid $27 for it, LOL.

FF

Obviously it depends on how sever the rust is. The rust showing in your photo appears minor. Scotch bright and varsol (WD40) would likely do a very nice job on the table. Be careful around the graduated dial - you may want to take it apart to get the black ring cleaned up, but not impact the numbering. Good score.

Yup, watch out for the graduated ring. Looks like a satin chrome finish from here, you don't want to be too aggressive on it otherwise you lose it.

-frank

LOL, it was a very good day to be at an auction!, I came home with better deals than the rotary table!...... I did spend some time cleaning, the satin finish graduated dial was removed and after a dip in the solvent tank is bright once again. The table rust was not bad at all, and most of it came off with little difficulty, there is a bit of staining from the rust, I will work on that a little more.

FF

Looks good, now you need to send it to me for proper long term storage, and occasional service checks.

No need for that!, it's oiled up and sitting in the toolbox awaiting a need. I actually went to the auction to look at a mill, a Chi-Com Bridgeport clone, but was not impressed with its condition. Tooling was selling cheap so I bought.

FF

Back