rotary table for pm 30mv mill

I got the Grizzly H7527 6" rotary table a couple of years ago for around 1/2 price on Ebay. Actually bought it before the mill. I got the dividing plates and tailstock with it. The table is horizontal/vertical. Most are, but not all. 6" is great on the PM-30MV. The table has 4 slots not 3. It just seems easier to me when setting up the work. I'm used to X-Y on the mill or with 4 jaw chucks. Setting up the work is the problem, not centering the table. A quick table setup is only a couple of minutes good to 1 or 1 1/2 thousand. Plenty good for most radius work. If you need more then that, then you have to dial it in.

The center hole is 2MT not straight. I personally thick it is more accurate, but that's me. The MT2 allows you to get small 3 jaw chucks and plug directly into the center. After using the table I'm going to go a different route. The MT2 dead center sticks out a couple of inches, so I guess that a commercial chuck would also stick out a good deal. One of the first taper projects on my new lathe is to cut a shortened MT2 version and attach to a flat plate and buy a cheaper 3 jaw chuck. The table surface clears the mounting base by around .030. I am on the look out for a flat bottom 8" 4 jaw chuck to speed up work holding.

Take the MT2 center and drop it in. Mark on either side where it touches the table. Grind two small notches in it to allow you to pry the center out. Doesn't hurt the center. I use it in horizontal to center the table by touching the point with a dowel. I use 3/8" & 1/2" drill rod with a center hole in it. I use it in vertical with home made on the spot lathe dogs to clamp and rotate the piece. If you have to give up something, make it the tailstock. You can do work arounds without it.

The dividing plates are another story. Don't leave home with out them. The increased accuracy and speed are what it is all about. You can layout holes without them, and your accuracy is only as good as your eyes.

The ideal for me was a 6" 4 slot horiz/vert MT2 with dividing plates and tailstock. 2nd choice was the same only 3 slot. Vertex HV-6 or the clones were the ones I looked at.

I am currently collecting fixture plate pictures. I plan on making drop in plates that self center and attach with 2 bolts. As stated above, it's centering the work and attaching to the table that takes all the time.

Good luck Charles
Charles

Thanks, great info. I really appreciate input like yours. as a newbie , I'm not sure exactly what I wil need, but thanks for expanding mu horizon.

Back