Rotary table from a gear reducer

Canus

Registered
Registered
I have a gear reducer that I would like to use to build a rotary table but am not sure how to go about this. Has anyone built a rotary table using a 90 degree gear reducer?

What is a 90 degree gear reducer? Pics and/or description? Gear ratio?

I recently watched a video by This Old Tony where he did just that. One of the concerns is the backlash in the gear reducer and how it is dealt with. A
standard RT uses a worm gear that has a taper to it so you can take up the backlash. This isn't possible with a typical worm type of speed reducer. Tony had about .040" of backlash and he intended to deal with the problem by rotating in one direction only and using a brake on the table.

Has anyone seen a n RT made from the flywheel/ring gear from an automotive engine? While it most likely isn't accurate enough for machining purposes, it could work out very well for a welding rotary table.

A fairly simple build. An axle for rotation and the pinion gear from a starter with a variable speed motor to drive it.

Thanks to RJSakowski for the link as this is the direction I am planning on going but with a manual rather than a stepper drive. My gear reducer is heavier duty than the one Tony used and I plan on having a larger table. Also plan on using locking lugs to secure the table when in position. Not sure if I will need additional support for the table other than the supporting shaft. Would appreciate any additional thoughts on the subject.

Have at it, it will either do the particular work required or not do it, there is only one way to find out if it will.

Back