Rotary table questions

@yota You indicate the round shaft on a 4 jaw chuck offset by the eccentric distance
thanks! I assume that since the 4 jaw isn't self centering you make the 1st cut and then move all the jaws toward you for the offset?

I guess it wouldn't matter the direction it is offset.

Last edited:
It has to be 'clocked' to the handle hole, which is done after turning the eccentric. I hope this helps.

Looks like a project!
finally got back to this. tried to copy the handle ball on the lathe. didn't go too well. didn't do any research, just tried to do it with a regular cutting tool after drilling out the large hole. the outside radius went surprising well but screwed up the radius on the other side. after failing miserably I googled it and found out there are actually radius cutters. who knew?

RT3 (2).jpg

Google is your friend!
This would have been fairly easy with a ball turning attachment on your lathe.

Radius cutters are not that hard to make. But the larger they are the more they chatter, at least on smaller lathes.
if you want to make a radius cutter dykem the tool, draw your radius on it, and grind away. On a big radius I have used an angle grinder with a cut off wheel and slit it short of the line over and over. then I have removed the waste with the cut off.
Then I take points and using an air grinder use the point to final shape it. I don't like using the corner of my 6 or 8 inch bench grinders.

pink or white points are soft enough to grind away.

But a ball cutter would be a cake walk. I have used my compound loosened (swivel) and cut balls that way before I got a boring head. it worked well, just go slow.

Back