Rotary table quick centering tool ???

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
I would like to make this lil tool like in Tom's techniques video. it's basically a lil taper on a dowel pin you bring down into the center hole to get you very close to center. what I'm wondering is can I cut a short 1 inch long(not even sure it needs to be that long ) mt2 taper with my compound on my G0602 10x22 lathe by setting to a certain degree instead of trying to turn between centers and trying to offset the tailstock etc. lol since I'm still recovering from back surgery I'm trying to take the fastest route to get the job done without having to remove my chuck etc. just trying to figure if it can be done this way or it I'm setting myself up for frustration also if it can be done anyone know what degree an mt2 taper is ??? Thanks for any help :) here's Tom's video https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...DfMQwW4IHDAD&usg=AOvVaw1M1gpexKVKDdiHptKVf5n2

If you turn the taper and straight at the same time it will work fine.

That’s probably better than how I did it , my vertex 8” has a mt3 center I board a 3/8” hole in a spare mt3 and put a 3/8” dowel in it and center it in a 3/8” collet in the spindle.
63B34756-D534-44CA-93AE-4BF114E6FA2E.jpeg
Then made a plug that fits in the back of the 4j that gets bolted down to the table
17B72619-85E0-4940-929F-610C230988AC.jpeg
Like so.
2FBB8229-9E98-43D0-8BC4-969BA1E918D6.jpeg

I could have that RT centered under the mill spindle faster than finding the indicator and parts to sweep it.
As far as accurate it may be off .001 or less.

I could have that RT centered under the mill spindle faster than finding the indicator and parts to sweep it.
As far as accurate it may be off .001 or less.

That makes it still off. Tinkertoy's way is the way to do it.

For quick centering, I had an extra MT3 taper drill arbor that fit my RT. I simply put it in the RT center hole and use a 60 degree center, that I also had, in a collet to fit the 60 degree center in the arbor. Nothing bought or machined. Quick and easy and free.

I do use the centering method with an indicator for fussy work.

Yes you can use the compound to cut the taper. The degree scale on the compound does not have enough resolution to set a morse taper to the accuracy needed for a proper fit. Besides it is some odd ball number of degrees and minutes.
You need to use an indicator to measure how much you move in while the compound moves 1.0 inches.
The ratio of the movement divided by 1.0 is the sin of the compound angle.

I use a mt4 taper to 3/4 arbor self made to align my RT. Arbor chucked in collet drop into RT bore with mounting screws loose. Then tighten bolts. I’ve done this a lot and accuracy is spot on. Now you usually have to center your part on RT table anyway so DI is out anyway. It’s a great tool to make and have around.

@umahunter,

The easiest way to set-up to cut a Morse taper is to copy another one.

If you have a sample MT arbour with centre holes set it between centres, mount a dial indicator horizontal in your tool post and put the tip on centre and against the sample Morse taper. Adjust your compound angle until you have zero dial travel as you sweep across it.

NOTE: the angles for each of the Morse sizes is different (ie. angle for MT2 is NOT the same as MT3), so copy one that is the same size that you're after.

-brino

Back