Rotary Table

taycat

Registered
Registered
i need to accurately mark out some holes for a backing plate.
could i use a rotary table on a drill press?
don't know much about them, but assume as long as i line first hole up correctly i just turn it rd to line up other holes?

ta

Make sure you accurately center your backing plate on the rotary table first.

one i have seen as 3 jaw chuck on it.
will that be suitable as once i centre up chuck i will leave it just for drilling backplates?
lathe i have is odd size chuck so going to need few backplates as i slowly getting the chucks i want.

one i have seen as 3 jaw chuck on it.
will that be suitable as once i centre up chuck i will leave it just for drilling backplates?
lathe i have is odd size chuck so going to need few backplates as i slowly getting the chucks i want.
Depending upon how much clearance you allow in your holes, the three jaw will work. You will want to mount the plate using the centering boss for the lathe chuck.
Three jaw chucks are not generally dead on center. Also different chucking diameters may have different runout due to abnormalities in the scrolling mechanism so centering the chuck using a disk close to your boss diameter would be advisable. You can have a fairly large clearance for your mounting bolts. If you find that you have erred and you have binding on one or more of the holes, you can correct that with a little judicious filing with a rat tail file.

Back