Rotary Table

Coomba

Active User
Registered
I'm not familiar with the two you listed. They look similar to the RT sets that Grizzly sells. The individual HV Rotary Tables Grizzly sells look similar to the 6" Vertex I just picked up. I've been happy with it so far. Not sure what size mill you have, I have a medium sized bench mill, and for me an 8" RT would have been too big when used in the vertical position.

As for the Division plates, from the images, yes it looks like you are correct. The 6" plates have 6-7 rows/rings of holes per plate and the 8" plates have 9-10 rows.

I'm not familiar with the two you listed. They look similar to the RT sets that Grizzly sells. The individual HV Rotary Tables Grizzly sells look similar to the 6" Vertex I just picked up. I've been happy with it so far. Not sure what size mill you have, I have a medium sized bench mill, and for me an 8" RT would have been too big when used in the vertical position.

As for the Division plates, from the images, yes it looks like you are correct. The 6" plates have 6-7 rows/rings of holes per plate and the 8" plates have 9-10 rows.

Thanks for bring that up, I didn't even think that the 8 inch may be to tall for my mill.

Looks just like the grizzly 6 inch that sells for 350 precision matthews sells vertex which are made in Taiwan and supposed to be better I think the 6 inch is around 350 for the rotary table and nothing else

Just to add, the Vertex 6" table is a close clone of the very expensive Yuasa 6" rotary table. Construction is nearly identical except for some of the oil groove patterns. The Vertex tailstock is also a close clone of the Yuasa construct so the Vertex is pretty well made and seems to be worth the cost.

Actually I think the vertex is a lil closer to 269 not 350

Get the biggest one your machine can handle. Mine is the 12" Troyke. My first fabrication on a milling machine (end fitting for 4" sailboat boom) really required that much table. You need room for hold-downs, etc.

shop-5_zpspcyyvzc2.jpg

boom-end-1_zpsddpmy27u.jpg

boom-end-2_zps3zdnsrog.jpg

I have the PM450G

I'm not familiar with all the new model PM mills but a quick search online shows that the PM450G has a 8-1/4" wide table. That may be borderline between a 6" & 8" RT. Here's what I mean.

I have a PM45M which is the predecessor of the PM932. My table is 9-1/2" wide. I originally bought a 6" Vertex/Yuasa style RT & it was too small for my table. In order to clear the handwheel of the RT, since it sits lower than the surface of the RT base, I had to use outermost T-slot on my table to mount it & I did not like that cause my mill does not have an adjustable ram. With the RT mounted that far out, there may be cases where I can't move the table in Y axis enough to reach. In addition, with the RT in the vertical position, the slots on the RT would not line up with my table T-slots so it would need to be clamped down. Not a big deal but I did not like that either.

So I sold the 6" & got me an 8" Vertex RT from Matt. Now this one was well suited for my mill. I could mount the RT using the middle T-slot & the handwheel clears the edge of the table. In the vertical position, the slots on the RT lines up with with my T-slots, no clamps needed. In addition, the 8" RT has 14mm slots & so does my mill table so I could use the same clamping kit that I use for my mill table on the RT.

Here's a post showing what I mean. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/rotary-tables.34634/#post-292983

I would recommend comparing the measurements of the 6" RT with your mill table so you don't make the same mistake I did if what I mentioned matters to you. Luckily my mistake did not cost me anything, I actually came out well on top but it still not a good feeling!

Back