[4]

Rotary table

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

PT Doc

Active User
Registered
Seems like the Tiawanese Vertex tables get good reviews. There are Chinese and Indian tables that I have not heard much about. If you were getting one, would you want a 3 slot or 4 slot? Any preference on size 6” or 8”? Will be going on a full size 9x49 mill. First project mill to finish with a 11” diameter circle to remove mount a large gauge for my compressor. Obviously I could finish this without a rotary table but no I have an excuse to get one. eBay has some packages with dividing plates and chucks but they seem to be all made in India products. Seems like that could be versatile but if the quality is sub par then who cares. Thanks in advance.

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I've not been burned by below sub par tools, so I guess I'm naive. So long as I'm not contracting for NASA, or Tiffany's I can live with 'average' tools. I haven't yet succumbed to the need for a rotary table, but when I do, it probably will be from India. Maybe not the cheapest one offered, but certainly not Swiss. I just don't need .0001 accuracy.

PT Doc

Active User
Registered
Hi Tom. It’s good that you don’t need 0.0001 accuracy because I don’t think you would find that in any affordable rotary table. I inquired with a vendor of rotary tables made in India and was surprised that they did not know the specs for the table. I also don’t need tenths accuracy but a table surely is produced to some standards so a reseller should have this information available. I think the Vertex brand would likely be a good choice.

machPete99

Registered
I may be making this same decision in the near future, for a smaller mill, probably in the 6" RT range. I think 3 slot looks good if you expect to mount a 3 jaw chuck most of the time. For direct fixturing of parts the 4 slot might look better. If you do the 4 slot and decide to mount a (3 jaw) chuck you might need to drill/tap or make a mounting plate. I'd be interested in other folk's experience here.

I also concur that Vertex looks like reasonable quality/$. Some Grizzly RTs have good reviews if you need to go cheaper.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
My 8" RT is about all I want to manually lift on and off the mill. A rotary table can be made effectively bigger by making a tooling plate to fit the top of it, which can be round, square, or whatever shape, size, and configuration you think appropriate. A horizontal/vertical RT is a lot more useful, especially if you also get (or fabricate) a tailstock.

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I'm curious about the dividing plates. Does anyone have experience with them on one of the universal type? I like the idea of being able to use it to do both dividing and rotary table duty. If nothing else, it's one less thing to store when not in use. But if they don't work well, there's no point.

Glenn Goodlett

Registered
An 8" RT is a whole lot bigger than a 6" RT. I gave away my 8" because it was too big. I got an Indian 6" with a chuck, dividing plates, tailstock, etc. It seems to work OK after I disassembled it completely to remove the earwax grease and grinding dust.

BaronJ

Registered
Hi Guys,

I have a Vertex 6" four slot rotary table. I'm very happy with it, I did buy a MT2 to Myford threaded mandrel for it. However when in use the chuck is sat about an inch above the table surface and unless you are only doing small work, less than about 40 mm diameter, is very unstable. A heavy cut causes severe chatter. So I made a brass center, tapered MT2 with a spigot for a mounting plate which is made out of 20 mm thick hard aluminum plate. I also made "T" nuts for the table and drilled the mounting plate for the securing screws. Much better.

The pictures show a family of fittings that I made sat on top of the mounting plate. There are two pictures of the brass spigot, one showing the M6 threaded hole that I put in, so that I could remove it without disturbing the RT. The double ended rod was intended to be used as a draw bar to stop the spigot from being pulled out in use. However I realised that the spigot couldn't be pulled out when the mounting plate was in use.

One thing that I did discover was that the MT2 tapered hole in the table only goes down to slightly over 30 mm. An MT2 center sticks up quite a way. Great for getting the table centered under the mill spindle, then its a pig to remove it.

31-07-2018-001.JPG 31-07-2018-002.JPG 31-07-2018-003.JPG

FanMan

Mechanical Hacker
Registered
I'm pretty happy with the 6" Vertex table I bought a few years ago.

mikey

Active User
I have a 4-slot, 6" Yuasa H/V rotab with tailstock and dividing plates. The movement of this table is like butter - very smooth. The 6" is not oil-filled, which is nice when you use it in the vertical position. I haven't used the plates yet but they will come in handy one day. This goes on a 8 X 28 table so its a good fit. If I was going to put it on a 9 X 49 and had an 11" project to do, I would go for at least an 8". Any larger and you're looking for some kind of lifting device.

I would opt for a 4-slot table for better clamping versatility. Chucks can be mounted to a backing plate that bolts into the slots.

Vertex is made in Taiwan. It is a clone of the Yuasa table and appears to be well made from what I can see. It is far cheaper than a Yuasa and is what I would opt for if I was to buy a new one. Many other high quality used tables out there, too.

P. Waller

I have a 13" German made Walter manual Vert/Hor rotary table that is about 25 years old graduated in Deg./Min./ Seconds of arc and has seen little use, I can not give this thing away. No shops want a manual machine and it is entirely to large and heavy for hobbyists at 300+ Lbs, I suspect that it will go in the scrap in a year or so.
You can have it for the freight cost.
If interested will take pictures tomorrow.

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I've had an 8 inch Vertex for 15 or more years. Very pleased with it. The dividing plates and handle from my Vertex indexing head fit it. Can't recall what I used it for with the plates but remember doing it. Im sure the plates hang below the bottom of the base so they have to overhang the front of the table. Mine is the 4 slot, with carefull placement I drilled 4 - 3/8 th holes through a Chinese 8 inch 3 jaw chuck to bolt directly to the table.

Greg

ttabbal

I have a 13" German made Walter manual Vert/Hor rotary table that is about 25 years old graduated in Deg./Min./ Seconds of arc and has seen little use, I can not give this thing away. No shops want a manual machine and it is entirely to large and heavy for hobbyists at 300+ Lbs, I suspect that it will go in the scrap in a year or so.

Probably a lot to ship, but I might be interested. Annoying to use a crane to install it, but it sounds like a nice part.

P. Waller

It is an excellent tool, it cost several thousand dollars back in the 90's, has little use in todays world and is large for a hobbyist. I have several friends that have garage shops, not one would bite even if delivered (-:

ttabbal

Maybe it can live on the other side of the table from the old gearbox power feed and provide balance. :)

Mitch Alsup

Registered
I found a cheapo 10" RT for mid $200s and bought it for my 8*30 knee mill.
I like it a lot, I like it so much I have mounted my vise on it as standard affair.
It even makes tramming the vise easier! and faster.!

It does, ahem, weight a crap load, more than I would like to put on and take off regularly.
Perhaps an 8"-er would have been better, but it is what it is.

ttabbal

That's one way to go for tramming the vise!

It would likely be big on my Bridgeport, but I bet it would work well on there. I wouldn't want to move it on/off much, but I don't think I would move it much. Maybe I would even try the vise trick.

PT Doc

Active User
Registered
I inquired with a supplier of a very standard looking rotary table on eBay that is made in China. The response I got for the tolerances was 0.014 to 0.019 without further details. I was quite surprised.

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Seems like the Tiawanese Vertex tables get good reviews. There are Chinese and Indian tables that I have not heard much about. QUOTE]
Apex is the Indian RT.

Last edited:

BaronJ

Registered
Hi Guys,

The only problem I see with mounting the vise on top of the RT on the mill table is the loss of "Z". If I did that on my mill I doubt if I would have more than a couple of inches to play with.

ttabbal

Of course you have to watch out for losing space. Much like the ER40 adapter I usually use in mine. I don't think I'll be doing much large work and have a fair amount of space to work with, but everyone's situation is different and one never knows what you might want to do later. Thankfully even if you are mounting the vise to the rotary table and need space, you can always remove it. You have to tram it again, but it's nice to have options.

I would be more concerned about loss of rigidity. I hear people say they don't use the swivel bases for that reason. Smaller rotary tables would seem to be a risk there as well. The 13" Walter mentioned earlier is probably fine for anything a hobby guy would ever do though. :)

Bob Korves

In my dreams I want a RT like this one, starts at 16:00:
:)

talvare

Ted A
I own a Walter 10" V/H rotary table. These are very nicely made, precision pieces of equipment. Although I think the 13" unit is a bit large, and you'd need a method for placing and removing it from your mill (many options here), if I were in your situation, I would take Mr. Waller up on his very generous offer. Just my two cents.

Ted

PT Doc

Active User
Registered
Thank you for the offer. If I had a crane then I would. Maybe someone on practical machinist would be interested?

ttabbal

I PMed and asked for a shipping quote. I have a crane and I think it would be nice on my Bridgeport. He hasn't replied yet, but I'm not in a hurry. Hopefully it's not prohibitive to ship.

PT Doc

Active User
Registered
I PMed and asked for a shipping quote. I have a crane and I think it would be nice on my Bridgeport. He hasn't replied yet, but I'm not in a hurry. Hopefully it's not prohibitive to ship.
On a small pallet I would guess $150.

Reeltor

Active User
Registered
A friend of mine shipped two generators from Atlanta GA to Jacksonville FL via Greyhound Bus. Took the NIB generators to the bus station, and that was that. I don't remember what he paid but I know at the time I was shocked at how cheap it was.
Several members here have taken heavy to ship items to their local Fastenal, here is a YouTube video on store to store shipping

RockingJ

Registered
As far as table size goes, I’d get the largest you can lift to the mill table. Larger always means more mass and mass is always good in machining. I have a 12” and it is too freaking heavy for me to get on the table. I had to go buy one of those harbor freight pickup bed cranes just to get it on the table. On my big mill it works good, on my Hardinge TM/ UM it looks way too large and it does interfere way too much with the Y axis the RT hanged of the Mill table by about 4 inches on both the front and back! I would only use a 6” on that mill.

RT weight is something to consider. I have seen where people put the RT on one side of the mill table and their vice on the other side! I wouldn’t recommend doing this, it puts a lot of weight on the ways that just wears them quicker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PT Doc

Active User
Registered
A friend of mine shipped two generators from Atlanta GA to Jacksonville FL via Greyhound Bus. Took the NIB generators to the bus station, and that was that. I don't remember what he paid but I know at the time I was shocked at how cheap it was.
Several members here have taken heavy to ship items to their local Fastenal, here is a YouTube video on store to store shipping
Could be a good option unless they charge like they do for their in store products.

mickri

Registered
A 15 inch walther came with my little mill/drill. A local machine shop snapped it up as soon as it hit craigslist. They had gotten tried of moving their other walther from machine to machine and wanted another one. The guy who came to get picked it up off my workbench and set it on the floor in his truck like it was no big deal.
I made a mickey mouse rotary table out of the swivel base that came with my 4" vise and a backing plate from my lathe. I have only used it once. I have to be careful on the direction of cut or the chuck could spin off the base. I am working on a way to lock the chuck to the base.

IMG_3575.JPG

[6]
[5] [7]