Rotary table

Of course you have to watch out for losing space. Much like the ER40 adapter I usually use in mine. I don't think I'll be doing much large work and have a fair amount of space to work with, but everyone's situation is different and one never knows what you might want to do later. Thankfully even if you are mounting the vise to the rotary table and need space, you can always remove it. You have to tram it again, but it's nice to have options.

I would be more concerned about loss of rigidity. I hear people say they don't use the swivel bases for that reason. Smaller rotary tables would seem to be a risk there as well. The 13" Walter mentioned earlier is probably fine for anything a hobby guy would ever do though. :)

I have a 13" German made Walter manual Vert/Hor rotary table that is about 25 years old graduated in Deg./Min./ Seconds of arc and has seen little use, I can not give this thing away. No shops want a manual machine and it is entirely to large and heavy for hobbyists at 300+ Lbs, I suspect that it will go in the scrap in a year or so.
You can have it for the freight cost.
If interested will take pictures tomorrow.

I own a Walter 10" V/H rotary table. These are very nicely made, precision pieces of equipment. Although I think the 13" unit is a bit large, and you'd need a method for placing and removing it from your mill (many options here), if I were in your situation, I would take Mr. Waller up on his very generous offer. Just my two cents.

Ted

Thank you for the offer. If I had a crane then I would. Maybe someone on practical machinist would be interested?

I PMed and asked for a shipping quote. I have a crane and I think it would be nice on my Bridgeport. He hasn't replied yet, but I'm not in a hurry. Hopefully it's not prohibitive to ship.

I PMed and asked for a shipping quote. I have a crane and I think it would be nice on my Bridgeport. He hasn't replied yet, but I'm not in a hurry. Hopefully it's not prohibitive to ship.

On a small pallet I would guess $150.

A friend of mine shipped two generators from Atlanta GA to Jacksonville FL via Greyhound Bus. Took the NIB generators to the bus station, and that was that. I don't remember what he paid but I know at the time I was shocked at how cheap it was.
Several members here have taken heavy to ship items to their local Fastenal, here is a YouTube video on store to store shipping

Reactions: GL
As far as table size goes, I’d get the largest you can lift to the mill table. Larger always means more mass and mass is always good in machining. I have a 12” and it is too freaking heavy for me to get on the table. I had to go buy one of those harbor freight pickup bed cranes just to get it on the table. On my big mill it works good, on my Hardinge TM/ UM it looks way too large and it does interfere way too much with the Y axis the RT hanged of the Mill table by about 4 inches on both the front and back! I would only use a 6” on that mill.

RT weight is something to consider. I have seen where people put the RT on one side of the mill table and their vice on the other side! I wouldn’t recommend doing this, it puts a lot of weight on the ways that just wears them quicker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A friend of mine shipped two generators from Atlanta GA to Jacksonville FL via Greyhound Bus. Took the NIB generators to the bus station, and that was that. I don't remember what he paid but I know at the time I was shocked at how cheap it was.
Several members here have taken heavy to ship items to their local Fastenal, here is a YouTube video on store to store shipping
Could be a good option unless they charge like they do for their in store products.

A 15 inch walther came with my little mill/drill. A local machine shop snapped it up as soon as it hit craigslist. They had gotten tried of moving their other walther from machine to machine and wanted another one. The guy who came to get picked it up off my workbench and set it on the floor in his truck like it was no big deal.
I made a mickey mouse rotary table out of the swivel base that came with my 4" vise and a backing plate from my lathe. I have only used it once. I have to be careful on the direction of cut or the chuck could spin off the base. I am working on a way to lock the chuck to the base.

IMG_3575.JPG

Back