Rotary table

Larry42

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I still haven't purchased a rotary table. I don't have the luck some of you have in finding good used stuff. I've got some cheap Chinese tooling. Some OK, some a waste of metal. I'm leery of buying cheap and being disappointed. But by the time I put together the entire package from Taiwan it looks like a lot of $. 8" HV, dividing plates, tailstock, 8" 3 jaw chuck …. I'd rather have the 10" version but they weigh too much. And yes it would be possible to devise a way to put it on the mill but that would take up more space in a tight shop. I haven't ruled out the 10" yet though. This is getting to be one expensive hobby. What are your experiences with Chinese RTs? I see some come W/O the ability to disconnect the worm from the table gear, that seems like you'd get really tiered of cranking it for some operations. Any suggestions/experiences would be appreciated.

You might take a look at Grizzly or Shars, a bit more expensive than the cheap EBay imports, but at least you have somebody in the U.S.A. to scream at if things go south. But do check EBay for used American, Taiwanese, or Japanese iron.

Vertex rotabs are clones of the Yuasa design and are said to be quite good. I own a Yuasa, which is as smooth as butter and is very nice and very expensive. If I were to do it again, I would just go get a Vertex. There are many better ones but not at that price unless you get really lucky on ebay.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a phase 2 rt. Just be sure to get one that will go horizontal and vertical.

Vertex rotabs are clones of the Yuasa design and are said to be quite good. I own a Yuasa, which is as smooth as butter and is very nice and very expensive. If I were to do it again, I would just go get a Vertex. There are many better ones but not at that price unless you get really lucky on ebay.
I purchases a used Yuasa 10" works great smooth and fantastic BUT it is very heavy and I built a electric winch to load it on the bridgeport. I would recommend an 8" . I had a Bridgeport 12" that I gave to my boy for a smaller 10" and still too big.

I agree with Mikey. I would go with a Vertex. Decent quality and there six and eight inch can be had with four slots vs. Three. I have worked with one in the past and thought is was a decent r.t. It was a twelve inch though.
Eisen is a great place to purchase. Unbelievable customer service with decent prices!!!

Back