ROTEX RM-1 Rebuild (kind of)

Dan, I have used Kleen Strip Concrete and Metal Prep on a LOT of projects for heavy rust removal. Might be worth a try? Do NOT use on aluminum. Will not hurt steel or iron. Worse it will do is leave a black film on it if it sits too long and it will wipe off. Phosphoric acid and less than $20 usually.

I filled a 1948 Flathead Ford engine block with it straight (no dilution) and it looks like new iron.
1703794339220.png

Hi All, I wanted to follow up and let you know, I finally the spindle apart:)))

I had it soaking on everything I could find for weeks: Evapo-Rust, CLR, AFT & Acetone, etc. What finally did it was a large Arbor Press with heat and candle wax. It finally broke loose with a very loud BANG with about 20+ tons on it!!! The internal spline is 3/4" long, and I had to press it the whole length...

The shaft is very pitted, but the internal spline is fairly clean; I will try to dress it up with Swiss files. For the shaft, I will sand the OD, put it in a 5C Collet indexer, file the splines with Swiss Files and Riflers, and work (Blue check it) until I get a sliding fit. -- AND hope it will be rotating true as an assemble.

I like to get this working well enough to get the machine running and take a few cuts (with or without the Quill function). Once I clean it up and find and fix the rest of the problems, I'll make a new spindle; it will be an ER Collet setup.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas for restoring the spline, I'd appreciate hearing about them!!!

Thanks,

Dan (Gear Cutter many years ago)

Attachments

• IMG_5733.JPG
    IMG_5733.JPG
    571.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Rusted Splines.jpg
    Rusted Splines.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 5
Your persistence finally paid off. Glad you got it. I used the quill once and I'd rather use my drill press. I have it adjusted up and up is where it stays.

Do you have another thread of your restoration? Please post up and add to the very little information about this machine. I'd also like to see the new spindle you end up making. Thanks for following up and good luck with the rest of your project.

Back