Rough edges when milling steel

I like to use HSS with cobalt roughers for steel, they look like corncobs and last pretty long
Stick with USA made endmills. I have some tiny ones from China but I don't push them hard, mainly for brass and aluminum
-Mark

Just a stupid question. Is your mill turning in the right direction? It happened to me and in aluminum the result looked like that. I had replaced a motor cable with a better one and flopped the phases so forward was reverse rotation. It drove me crazy for about 15 minutes until I figured it out. Flustered

Just a stupid question. Is your mill turning in the right direction? It happened to me and in aluminum the result looked like that. I had replaced a motor cable with a better one and flopped the phases so forward was reverse rotation. It drove me crazy for about 15 minutes until I figured it out. Flustered
It's electronic, and it says it's going forward, so I would bet I'm ok. Not a dumb question though.

If this mill is brand new to you, I wouldn't assume anything. Looking down from the top of the machine is the rotation clockwise or counter-clockwise?

I did that once. Insta-smoke the cutter. Have to be careful on BP’s the switch has high and low range and also a high and low gear selector. Mix those up and the mill runs in reverse.

So what are common end mill sizes? I'd like to order a few and I have the feeling that bigger isn't necessarily better.

Okay, I got a couple of carbide bits. I feel like throwing the HSS Grizzly end mills out the window. What a difference!
What should I reserve the HSS bits for? Plastic and Wood?

Are they good enough for that even? :)
I'm going to use the box mine came in for real end mills:encourage:

Back