Round stock center locator

mirage100

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need a round stock center locator. All of the one I have found do not get very good reviews. Can someone point me in the right Direction of a good one ?

Do you mean something like this?

If your on the length there's this type.

One of the youtube gurus has another method. Face, and drill a short piece of your stock, part it off, put the length in a vice, lay the disc with the hole in it on top for the length where you wish to mark, then transfer punch it...

Reactions: tjb
I'd do a bell-mouthed center punch, similar to :

https://www.amazon.com/Center-Punch-Marks-Exact-Round/dp/B07NRJ6691/ref=sr_1_6

Here's a quick how-to on using one :

Mr. Pete on youtube did a little mini-series on making one of these, and if my memory serves me, there was a "machine shop projects" variant in the old high school shop days for it. Here's mr pete's first video if you have a lathe and want to make one :

Are you trying to find the center of the end of the round stock? Or along the length of the stock?

I was look for something that I can use on my milling machine. I have done the thin ruler set up before but it takes to long.

That is the one I listed above, and use it on my mill

Do you have the round stock standing up on end, or lying down along its side?

If standing on end - Eyeball the approximate center. Use a center finder in the X direction to find the edges, set zero halfway between, and move the table in X to that position. Now repeat the process in the Y direction. To refine/verify the X position of the center point, repeat the X procedure with the table at Y zero.

If lying on its side - For a "pretty good" center (assuming it's centerline is oriented in the X direction; change procedure as needed if the axis is lined up with Y), I use a device like the one @mirage100 posted ... but I do the "measurement" in four different ways, noting the Y position each time, then use the average of the four. The four ways: 1. Set up the indicator with the table a bit "forward" of center. Move Y from the front to the back, noting when the marks are lined up. 2. Repeat this, starting with the indicator "behind" center. 3. Raise the spindle, rotate the indicator 180º, repeat step 1. 4. Repeat step 2. The two marks you're trying to line up visually are probably something like 0.020" wide, so perfect alignment can be difficult. By doing the 4 measurements and averaging, you minimize the error.

If lying on its side - For an "exact" center, use a 1/2" diameter center finder, like
and touch off each side at its widest point (ie, along the horizontal diameter); set zero halfway between.

Back