Router bits to cut Aluminum.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Have you used any woodworking/router bits for milling metal? how far have you pushed the bits? did you try mild steel? how about cast iron,what type of cast iron if any?

I was about to order a cheap round over on Amazon then I thought,I have a much better quality round over router bit,so I'm going to give it a try.

I've used router bits in my router to round over aluminum a number of times with no problems. I take very light cuts, and the results have been good as long as I'm careful and take it slow.
Can't see why it wouldn't work in your mill. I'm not brave enough to try it with steel.

Last edited:
Generally, the carbide in the cheap bits is of fairly low quality, if there is such a thing. They can dull quite quickly then possibly heat up. But, due to the work load, I'd have to believe chamfering/rounding over aluminum would be a smaller work load and run cooler than taking a full cut on MDF, which is killer on router bits and saw blades.

On a side note for carbide router bits and saw blades. I often cut aluminum tile trims or glass edging/tracks on my chop saw with no issues aside from flying shards of aluminum.

The manufacturers of cheaper carbide router bits also braze smaller pieces of carbide on the cutting edges of their bits in comparison to better made Lee Valley chamfering bit which has two solid cutting edges that covers the whole cutting surface, the cheap imported one has a 1/8" strip of carbide on each side (probably 1/16" thick),they get dull way too fast because of that.

The round over router bit for milling metal sold by Amazon for under $12 is HSS , I think I would get a much better cut quality from my RO router bit than the one from Amazon, I could save the money and get a better quality set specifically for milling metal.

And a Freud bit will set you back 35-45 bucks. However, you can sharpen them 5-6 times.

Generally, the carbide in the cheap bits is of fairly low quality, if there is such a thing. They can dull quite quickly then possibly heat up. But, due to the work load, I'd have to believe chamfering/rounding over aluminum would be a smaller work load and run cooler than taking a full cut on MDF, which is killer on router bits and saw blades.

On a side note for carbide router bits and saw blades. I often cut aluminum tile trims or glass edging/tracks on my chop saw with no issues aside from flying shards of aluminum.

I also cut aluminum on my table saw, though I have a 10" blade made for non ferrous metal. Used it for years on all kinds of stuff.

Often use carbide router bits in the mill to round over aluminum. I've used up to 3/4 radius with no problems. Haven't tried them on steel yet.

Greg

Other than the round over bit I would really like to use a router chamfer bit also. mainly on Aluminum.

Back