Router Build

Today's Project. 16" in diameter. The area clearance was done with a 1/8" carbide 2-flute end mill and then finished with a 60 deg v-bit. Total run time was 80 minutes. This is with the first coat of sealer. I will take more time on the finish of this one. No painting, just the clear finish on the rustic cherry.

IMG_0004.JPG

VERY NICE JAY! :encourage:

It's great to see your success with CNC. I'm glad it's working so well. ;)

Good work.
You need take a little more time tho when gluing your pieces together.
Try to match up the wood grain or at least keep the grains going the same way so it looks as close to a single board as possible.
The obvious glue lines distract from the actual piece.

Good work.
You need take a little more time tho when gluing your pieces together.
Try to match up the wood grain or at least keep the grains going the same way so it looks as close to a single board as possible.
The obvious glue lines distract from the actual piece.

Mike, thanks for your comments.

This is a practice piece I did for trying different cutters, speeds and feeds.

The look is intentional. The glue lines are actually gaps. The material is scrap rustic cherry flooring. I have a bunch of it left over from a home I built or a couple many years ago. What you see came from the same board. I simply glued the tongue and groove together not concerned with how the joint would be. If I am not happy with the clear finish I may do some weathering and antiquing to make it look old.

Jay

I got the vacuum table built and setup. This is version 2 built to the extents of my work area. 1/4" closed cell backer rod or EDPM cord is used for the gasket. Grooves were cut with a 1/4" ball nose end mill to a depth of 0.2". The board was made from 2-layers of 3/4" HDF. The HDF is not as porous as MDF but still needed to be sealed. The 2-layers were laminated together with epoxy to insure no leakage between the air channels. Vacuum comes from a 5 CFM 2-stage pump plumbed to a 5 gal auxiliary tank.

20160410_120610.png 20160410_120618.png 20160410_120636.png 20160410_120715.png

Back