Router Build

I taped some 3 mil Mylar over my screen, and use one of those foldable keyboards (about $15). They are made of silicone and completely sealed and hot chips, oil, and spilled coffee don't damage them. You can just hose them off.

Thanks Jim, the Mylar on the screen is a good idea. I thought about the silicone keyboards but I wanted a keyboard with a build in touch pad so I don't have to deal with a mouse.

I'm just not sure how these wire to the Huanyang VFD; FOR, REV & DCMc ontrol terminals?
Jay,
Did you get your B.O.B. connections figured out? After messing with my VFD, I have some ideas for what you may need. If you have two Normally Open relays available you connect one side of them to DCM, and the other side of one to FOR, and the other to REV. Then you may need to write a macro in MACH3, but the B.O.B. maker may have something....

Jay,
Did you get your B.O.B. connections figured out? After messing with my VFD, I have some ideas for what you may need. If you have two Normally Open relays available you connect one side of them to DCM, and the other side of one to FOR, and the other to REV. Then you may need to write a macro in MACH3, but the B.O.B. maker may have something....

Thanks areoHAWK!

I have not heard back from PMDX yet. The spindle controller has a Forward and Reverse relay, each with NC-COM-NO terminals. From what you are saying I should be able to wire the COM of each relay to the DCM terminal on the VFD and the NO terminals to the respective FWD and REV terminals? No macros should be required. I should be able to use the same PWM settings in Mach3 as I use on my mill.

I decided to change to a different BOB that has a charge pump monitor. Adds a little more safety to the machine. As soon as that comes in I will see if the wiring works.

Jay

From what you are saying I should be able to wire the COM of each relay to the DCM terminal on the VFD and the NO terminals to the respective FWD and REV terminals?
Yes, exactly.

Jay,

I was thinking more about your VFD hookups. I realized I made the assumption that your speed controller is set up for the Huanyang VFD. This may not be accurate.

This is what I used for my mill setup (from page 37 of the user manual):FOR-REV.png
I suspect (after giving it more thought) that your controller expects that when the FWD relay is active, the spindle rotates forward, and when the REV relay is active, it's reversed. However, the Huanyang VFD doesn't seem to work that way.

So connect the COM of both relays as I previously said, but then connect both NO terminals to D1 of the VFD and the NC terminal of the FWD relay to D2 of the VFD.

That way, when the FWD relay is activated, it will open D2 (this will make the rotation forward) and it will close D1, which causes the spindle to start.

Alternately, when the REV relay is activated, D2 is closed already selecting reverse rotation, and D1 will close causing the spindle to start.
FOR REV.png

Last edited:
I changed out the BOB and reconfigured everything and in the process of configuring the spindle there was a pop and my z drive is no longer working. I originally had 3 older Gecko 201's but one was dead so I swapped in a newer Chinese drive on the z axis. If I power cycle the z drive it seems to reset (green light on) but as soon as I enable Mach3 the drive faults (red light on). So I'm not sure if it is an over current or an incompatibility with the new PMDX-122 BOB or a setting???. I like their products but I feel like the village idiot when it comes to reading and understanding their manuals. For now I have ordered another Gecko drive as the other two are working fine. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the spindle running.

Jay

Jay,

I was thinking more about your VFD hookups. I realized I made the assumption that your speed controller is set up for the Huanyang VFD. This may not be accurate.

This is what I used for my mill setup (from page 37 of the user manual):View attachment 105527
I suspect (after giving it more thought) that your controller expects that when the FWD relay is active, the spindle rotates forward, and when the REV relay is active, it's reversed. However, the Huanyang VFD doesn't seem to work that way.

So connect the COM of both relays as I previously said, but then connect both NO terminals to D1 of the VFD and the NC terminal of the FWD relay to D2 of the VFD.

That way, when the FWD relay is activated, it will open D2 (this will make the rotation forward) and it will close D1, which causes the spindle to start.

Alternately, when the REV relay is activated, D2 is closed already selecting reverse rotation, and D1 will close causing the spindle to start.
View attachment 105530

aeroHAWK, My VFD does not have a D1 & D2 terminal?

The speed control board has a test feature that sends a run at full speed command outside of Mach3. That part works but I have not been able to get Mach3 to turn on the spindle yet. Still working on it....

Back