Royal Blue #3

Well into every life a little rain must fall

I made a new piston from aluminum with an o-ring seal.
The old and the new.
GEDC4693s.jpg

The engine ran much better with very little blow by. I was adjusting the carb, valve timing, ignition timing and fly weight springs and I was getting the speed down to almost where I wanted it when KURPUT. No running, no firing, no popping and no spark. The ignition module decided to go south just like that. I checked all the connections and the battery power but no joy.

It is dead!

This is the same module that I use in my other two engines and they are running fine but not in Royal Blue.

I did find a place in Orlando that has some modules so I will be making a road trip in the near future.

to be continued

Thanks for looking
Ray

That engine looks great! You are master machinist

Thanks for the kind words but I do not see myself as a master machinist but rather a student just learning.
Many of my parts are made two or three times before I get the one that I like and works.
If you could see some of my projects 15 years back you definitely would not say that.

I will be making a road trip tomorrow to Orlando for an ignition module and then maybe in a couple of days I will have the engine running again.

thanks for looking
Ray

Ok so the video looks like it is working.
This was taken during a fifteen minute run with cooling water. I don't think it was necessary as the water only got warm.

There is still a lot of work left on the engine. I want to slow it down some and get rid of some of the gear noise.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Ray:
On this engine and the David Kerzel engine you changed the piston material from cast iron to aluminum and changed from cast iron rings to a viton O ring. Why did you do this and how much compression is on O ring? Does the O ring need lube to keep it sliding in the cylinder. What is he life span of the O-ring?
I found the plans for the David Kerzel engine and I am thinking it is a project I am going to try to make. Also, what is the ignition system that you used? can you post a link to the manufacturer.

Thanks
Roger L

rogerl The life span of the o-ring is in direct proportion as to how well you honed the cylinder. The first engine I didn't do a very good job on the cylinder and it only lasted about 5 hours of run time. It seems to be holding up well now.
The fuel is mixed with 10% WD40 so no other lubrication is necessary.
I have not perfected the art of making cast iron rings so an aluminum piston with an o-ring is an easy way out and it works great.
I got some of the ignition modules from Banggood.

Thanks
Ray

Reactions: Guv
Back