Royal Collet Drawbar Disassembly

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an old Royal 5c collet drawbar I need to reduce the diameter by ten thou to fit my 5c adapter. Anyone know how to take the handwheel side apart/off? I thought the slightly raised tube right in front of the bigger diameter in front of the wheel meant it screwed together but no joy. The inside of the tube feels smooth too. This thing keyed or press fit? I tried on my press but no luck there either. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 1554592667311-2048451675.jpg
    1554592667311-2048451675.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 15545928789331644000338.jpg
    15545928789331644000338.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I have an old Royal 5c collet drawbar I need to reduce the diameter by ten thou to fit my 5c adapter. Anyone know how to take the handwheel side apart/off? I thought the slightly raised tube right in front of the bigger diameter in front of the wheel meant it screwed together but no joy. The inside of the tube feels smooth too. This thing keyed or press fit? I tried on my press but no luck there either. Thanks guys.
Do you have a steady rest?

Yes, Bob. I do. Btw, I thought of putting the tube between centers. Was going to try but got called into work. :rolleyes: Well, I'd need to make bull nose centers first. :grin:

Last edited:
Ok. Tomorrow I'm gonna try gripping the handle in my chuck and hold the end of tube I need to turn down in the steady rest. Will dial it in with dti. We shall see...

This is a series of five videos showing the rebuild of a similar Jacobs spindle nose chuck:

Thanks, Vocatexas, but mine is a simple handwheel drawbar. That's a cool piece in that vid though!

Tried holding it in the chuck by the handlewheel but there's only one tooth on each jaw contacting the wheel. Gotta reverse the jaws tomorrow. This drawbar seems to be pretty darn close to perfect length for my spindle and I already had it. Hope I can get it working.

Last edited:
Back