Rrestoration of a 1920s Airway Beacon

Harvey

Active User
Registered
Restoration of a 1920s Airway Beacon

Howdy Guys,

I've converted the installments in my Airway Beacon Restoration write-up to PDF (something I didn't know how to do three years ago) so now the pictures will stay where I put them! Therefore, in order to read the story of my restoration, open the attached file in each post.

I've also brought the story up to date. (The project is now almost finished.)

I have not done anything to the comments that y'all had already posted so they should still be in the same place in relation to my installments.

Hope y'all like it! The story starts (again) in the following post. (Parts 7 & up are new.)

Harvey

Last edited:
Restoration of a 1920s Airway Beacon - Part 1 (Introduction)

Please see the attached PDF document.

Thanks,

Harvey

Attachments

• Part 1 (with Stearman link).pdf
    729.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Restoration of a 1920s Airway Beacon - Part 2 (Dismantling & Relocating)

Thanks,

Harvey

Attachments

• Part 2.pdf
    928.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Restoration of a 1920s Airway Beacon - Part 3 (Constructing The Foundation)

Thanks,

Harvey

Attachments

• Part 3.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Restoration of a 1920s Airway Beacon - Part 4 (Pouring Slabs)

Thanks,

Harvey

Attachments

• Part 4.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Harvey,

I don't understand your neighbor. That tower will look great, and certainly consistent with the rest of the 'neighborhood". I applaud your effort to save a little bit of aviation history. My boss once detailed a illuminated navigation system the US Air Force used. (he was a KC-97/KC-135 pilot) I don't remember the beacons rotating, but rather more like landing lights, except much larger scale, and meant to be seen miles and miles away.

Meanwhile; well done. Keep the pictures coming.

Ray

Restoration of a 1920s Airway Beacon - Part 5 (Building The Flammables Shed)

Thanks,

Harvey

Attachments

• Part 5.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Wow, I'm in awe... puts the little projects that overwhelm me in perspective. Can't wait to see the final result!

What kind of power will the lamp consume? Will it be green and white like a standard airport beacon?

Wow, I'm in awe... puts the little projects that overwhelm me in perspective. Can't wait to see the final result!

What kind of power will the lamp consume? Will it be green and white like a standard airport beacon?

Thanks Fan, if it hadn't been a labor of love, I would've never tackled such a project. It's definitely been a fun journey so far!

The lamp draws 1200w and the rotation motor is only 1/6hp so (theoretically) it could be plugged into a 15A wall outlet in your living room. (And the super-bright light would probably set your drapes on fire! :)

Yes, it will emit the standard aviation green and white flashes.

Harvey

Last edited:
Way to go. Love it.

No comment on your neighbor, but maybe you have the wrong color car as well. I hate restrictions and would turn down any property, even if free, that has any.
Pierre

Back