Rrestoration of a 1920s Airway Beacon

you sir, are the kind of pilot I would fly anywhere with. great attention to detail. . . . . very nice work.

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting history on the nav. lights.

Re: Rrestoration of a 1920s Airway Beacon - Part 5

That sir, is a fantastic effort at keeping the past alive!
Although I live in Oz, and I have no idea really if aviation rules or nav aids are much the same, but I remember a small unmanned airport near where I used to live that had a rotating beacon that was switched on by some means when a plane wanted to land at night. We lived about 20 Nm as the crow flies from that airport and whenever they switched the beacon on we could see it. Sweeping the sky, not just a pinpoint when it shone in your eyes. I never timed it but I would say it took about 5-8 seconds to do 360 deg.

...And then I poured the fifth (and LAST!) concrete pour of this project...

What! No arrow?

Cheers Phil

Harvey: I've ended up with a pdf of part of the tower drawings. I'd sure like to get some dimensions from you, off of yours, before the top section goes up, if you are willing. We'd like to do a 62 footer at our place in Arkansas. I don't have a beacon for it yet, so it will probably have to survive with a couple of big Yagi antennas on it until then. We are also going to do a scale installation in the front yard here at home with a 1/10 or so installation, with an LED beacon.

Harvey: I've ended up with a pdf of part of the tower drawings. I'd sure like to get some dimensions from you, off of yours, before the top section goes up, if you are willing. We'd like to do a 62 footer at our place in Arkansas. I don't have a beacon for it yet, so it will probably have to survive with a couple of big Yagi antennas on it until then. We are also going to do a scale installation in the front yard here at home with a 1/10 or so installation, with an LED beacon.

I've sent you two e-mails and two PMs without any response.

Harvey

Just found this! That is very cool! Subscribed...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Restoration of a 1920s Airway Beacon - Part 6 (Restoring The Top Section - A)

Please see the attached PDF document.

Thanks,

Harvey

Attachments

• Part 6.pdf
    687.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Restoration of a 1920s Airway Beacon - Part 7 (Restoring The Top Section - B)

Please see the attached PDF document.

Thanks,

Harvey

Attachments

• Part 7.pdf
    838.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Back