Rrestoration of a 1920s Airway Beacon

Guys,

Thanks for your comments. It has DEFINITELY been a fun project!

Of the original 1,550 beacons and towers erected in the late 1920s and early '30s, only a small handful are known to still exist. Following the decommissioning of the system in the late 1950s and '60s, most were donated to local airports, who used them as airport beacons until they were replaced by more-modern units in the 1970s and '80s. However, some of the beacons in remote and isolated locations were simply abandoned in place; unfortunately to be discovered and trashed by vandals. A small group of us are dedicated to locating these abandoned and forgotten towers and their beacons (or parts thereof) before they completely deteriorate into dust. The hope is that they can be found and restored for donation to aviation museums. Any information leading to the location of these derelicts (in whole or in part) or even bits and pieces stored in the back of a hangar would be greatly appreciated!

Harvey

Harvey, thanks for posting this thread. I've always been interested in aviation but never had the time or money to pursue it to any degree. Since reading your thread I have started paying attention to these towers that I see in various places around the upper Midwest. The ones that I see are always located at small airports, but I saw one just the other day that made me sit up and take notice. It was at a small town airport that I have not driven past in probably ten years or more. The paint on the tower was very faded but the part that really stood out is that the beacon on the top appeared to be very small and possibly only one sided, but that could be incorrect. My view of it as I drove by was rather brief. The next time I get up there I will make certain to go through there again and attempt to get some photos of it.

We had some towers like that on the Nike bases here in Jersey , I think there all gone now even the silos aren't there . Growing up we had the missile bases all over , still may be there underground but not much above there. The same shape and coloring , don't remember any beacon on them but those towers I do.

Harvey : Pics of what you are restoring would be great , also the finished project,
pdf files are filling up my iBooks
Thanks

DLane,

Here's a picture of the tower as of today. It's essentially finished; however, I recently found and bought a late 1920s/early 1930s beacon with the intent of restoring it to replace the homemade beacon currently on my tower. I'll document this beacon's restoration trials and tribulations and post them here.

Harvey

17 Aug 2016.PNG

Last edited:
Restoration of a 1920s Airway Beacon - Part 15 (A New Beacon)

Please see the attached PDF document.

Thanks,

Harvey

Attachments

• Part 15.pdf
    496.3 KB · Views: 35
Back