Rudy Kouhoupt's Atlas Horizontal Mill video

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Just got the DVD last night spent a lot of time with it today. The DVD is full of good basic information and illustrations. At my stage of learning about these mills I would have appreciated some information about lubrication. Mr. Kouhoupt made a point of cleaning up surfaces as a project is started . He also emphasized using the table movement dials in lieu of trying to measure the remaining stock, a very good approach that I need to learn. No doubt something new will surface each time I watch it.
Have a good day
Ray

There is a lot of good information in that video, and the tooling he makes is very handy!
As far as the lube, do you have the manual? It can be downloaded from this site and will answer those questions.

I have an Atlas horizontal mill, have always been curious about buying that video.

I have an Atlas horizontal mill, have always been curious about buying that video.

Rudy was a phenomenal machinist especially considering the lightweight machines he used. His videos are rather unprofessional in editing and how they drag on. Can you learn something from them, yup, fun to watch not so much in my view. Its like those you tube videos that you always want to watch in double time to get thru the monotonous lecture. In person Rudy had a wicked sense of humor, his videos are tough for me to enjoy, but for someone unfamiliar with the machine or project at hand they can be of benefit, they are a bit spendy though.

Most machinist aren't snowmen they just know and try to help leave the things they know for the uneducated . I try to tell people use your eyes first , if you don't understand then ask but don't expect to absorb the intellect from a video. Somethings can't be taught by showing you must learn by doing. Failures are learning expect to fail to learn.

Doubleboy has expressed many of my sentiments and I have yet to finish viewing the Shaper 6 projects. Silverbullet is right as most machinists are not showmen. Rudy Kouhoupt has illustrated most of the basics for these older machines in an easily understood narrative. One subtle thing is the precision that shows up in his accessories. There are also methods of work holding that I have taken note of. An example is that he seems to work from the beginning surfaces of a project rather than remove it from a machine to measure and arrive at the final dimensions. He emphasizes keeping the machines in good repair to maintain accuracy. For me, essentially a beginner with these machines , this is good stuff and I will be reviewing these videos as time and projects go by.
Have a good day
Ray

Was wondering if anyone else would catch that.... :)

Back