Ruger 10/22 Thread Protector/Muzzle Brake

The amount of lead dust that would be redirected toward the shooter is not insignificant.

The value of a brake on a 2lr is reducing the 'blowby' that occurs at the muzzle. The lead contaminated vapors will still find their way to you, if there is any wind at all - unless you are shooting exactly downwind... (and judging by the smells after shooting, some still makes it back to you)

Because of the sharp corner at the crown, *more* of the gasses stay at the barrel end without a break. If the brake is designed correctly, more of the gasses are propelled forward. All my muzzle breaks have a 7.5 degree cant forward on the vents for this purpose.

@Ike Carlson Perhaps you've never used an indoor range - the propellant fumes and lead fumes can become quite noxious in an indoor range, even with the fans on full...

I have not used an indoor range.
So what you are describing sounds more like a reverse brake to me, where it pushes the gasses forward instead of backward?

Never heard of that before.

reverse brake

Not exactly:

it pushes the gasses in a diffuse pattern at 7.5 degrees forward. A little less than 13% of the thrust of the gasses coming out of the vents - but - it reduces the muzzle thrust by more than that (depending on caliber). Because the gasses are exiting under turbulent flow, the actual backward thrust is far less than 13%.

For some physics reasons, no muzzle break can reduce the muzzle thrust more than 40% in an 'ideal' muzzle break (the Danish numbers, not mine) and we achieve more than 35% recoil reduction with this design in 7mm magnum cartridges.

On a 22LR, a muzzle break is little more of a flash hider than a reduction in recoil in that sense, but we have noted a slight increase in accuracy in biathalon type rifles by using a break of this design.

FWIW the first 5 years of competition shooting I did was entirely on indoor ranges. So I've inhaled at least some lead/propellant fumes...

Back