Ruger 22lr barrel replacement

I've shot a Bergerra, a CZ 455, and a CZ 457 on the same day under the same conditions, the Bergerra was slightly more consistently accurate than the 455 or the 457. Between the 455 and the 457 I cannot pick out any differences and the same barrels will fit both of them. The differences between all three are pretty small, I was shooting sub MOA at 100 yards with all three of them.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the comparison. From what I have found, the 457 bolt has a shorter throw, so does not interfere with a scope on shorter rings, and the bottom metal is a bit different. Other than that, they sounded identical. There is a gunshow next weekend I planned on going to and hopefully someone there will have these to see. On the way home I will stop at a couple gun shops out that way and see what they have, but in the past they didn’t have much in the way of 22 bolt guns, so not confident, especially with the supply problems going on.

What is your budget and what type of shooting do you want to do? Sit at a bench, free hand, prone? It all makes a difference.

We know it isn't Vudoo, but if Bergara is in the mix, it has a couple of options. They have the B14R which is the Rem 700 footprint which opens you up to options later for stocks, triggers, etc. It however uses AICS type mags which can be a bit more expensive. The BMR is the lower cost of the two and uses proprietary magazines which are more like a normal small 22lr mag. It doesn't fit the 700 foot print, but it does allow for a 700 trigger which can make a big difference.

CZ's are great value's, however some of the newer one I think are over priced. The 452 would be preference as it has dual lugs vs the 455 and 457 single lugs. 452's are getting harder to find and starting to creep up to what I would consider too high for what they are.

All that being said, if you're budget would be pushed a bit more, then an Anschutz 64 type action would be my next preference. An older 54 based action is great, but probably runs out of your budget.

I haven't mention a Remington 40x or Winchester 52, but those would absolutely be a great rifle if you can find one in good shape. They can run anywhere from $1000 to the moon depending what they are.

I don't know about everyone on this thread, but two of us shoot Rimfire Benchrest and F-Class competitively, so our expectation of precision is probably a bit more than most.

For me, it would go like this:
1. Custom - $3k+
2A. Remington 40x - $1000+
2B. Winchester 52C, D, or E - $1000+
2C. Vudoo - $2kish to start
3. Anschutz - $1000 +/- for a nice 64 action
4. Bergara B14R - $850-900
5A. Bergara BMR - $600
5B. CZ $500-1000
5C. Tikka T1X

There are others, but if I was going to spend 1k, I would be looking for a Remigton 40x, Winchester 52 C,D, or E, Anschutz 64 based rifle or the B14R where I could change out stocks and triggers easier later on. The Anschutz Trigger should be pretty good to start. The Remington and Winchester would have to be right time/right place types of purchase, but they are out there.

Last edited:
What is your budget and what type of shooting do you want to do? Sit at a bench, free hand, prone? It all makes a difference.

We know it isn't Vudoo, but if Bergara is in the mix, it has a couple of options. They have the B14R which is the Rem 700 footprint which opens you up to options later for stocks, triggers, etc. It however uses AICS type mags which can be a bit more expensive. The BMR is the lower cost of the two and uses proprietary magazines which are more like a normal small 22lr mag. It doesn't fit the 700 foot print, but it does allow for a 700 trigger which can make a big difference.

CZ's are great value's, however some of the newer one I think are over priced. The 452 would be preference as it has dual lugs vs the 455 and 457 single lugs. 452's are getting harder to find and starting to creep up to what I would consider too high for what they are.

All that being said, if you're budget would be pushed a bit more, then an Anschutz 64 type action would be my next preference. An older 54 based action is great, but probably runs out of your budget.

I haven't mention a Remington 40x or Winchester 52, but those would absolutely be a great rifle if you can find one in good shape. They can run anywhere from $1000 to the moon depending what they are.

I don't know about everyone on this thread, but two of us shoot Rimfire Benchrest and F-Class competitively, so our expectation of precision is probably a bit more than most.

For me, it would go like this:
1. Custom - $3k+
2A. Remington 40x - $1000+
2B. Winchester 52C, D, or E - $1000+
2C. Vudoo - $2kish to start
3. Anschutz - $1000 +/- for a nice 64 action
4. Bergara B14R - $850-900
5A. Bergara BMR - $600
5B. CZ $500-1000
5C. Tikka T1X

There are others, but if I was going to spend 1k, I would be looking for a Remigton 40x, Winchester 52 C,D, or E, Anschutz 64 based rifle or the B14R where I could change out stocks and triggers easier later on. The Anschutz Trigger should be pretty good to start. The Remington and Winchester would have to be right time/right place types of purchase, but they are out there.
Thank you for your detailed write up. Precision rimfire series type matches shooting at gongs at different ranges is the main plan. I’m not really interested in bench competitions, I get bored easily doing that. It doesn’t matter if I hit the edge or the middle, both count as hits, but better accuracy definitely will help getting the shot on target. Targets can be anywhere from 25 to 400 yards and there are multiple stages of varying target sizes and distances. Shooting position will change with each target as well, could be prone, on a barrier, etc.

My original budget was $500 for the gun, but it’s looking like I will need to go closer to $1,000 to get what I need. Much more than that and I would probably get a centerfire cartridge and skip the 22 series and just go with the regular precision rifle series competitions.

I’m liking the Bergara rifles, they have very good reviews, as do the CZ. I wasn’t aware the 452 had two lugs, I’ll take a look and see if any of those are available at the gun show I plan on going to next weekend. I stopped by Cabelas on our way to visit a college with my son and was surprised to see their used gun section gone. They used to have several racks of guns of various calibers and conditions to browse through, but I guess due to covid they got rid of it. I don’t think I made it out there in the last couple years. Hopefully the gun show has a good selection.

For what you are outlining, I think the Bergara B14R would be the best choice. With it being based on the 700 action footprint it gives you a lot of flexibility to customize it later on should you choose to. It would say it is 90-95% as good as the Vudoo at a 3rd of the cost. Don't get me wrong, there is a reason for the extra cost for the extra 5-10%, but I think you would be very happy with the B14R.

I have both as well as many full customs. The Bergara is the best bang for the buck as far as I am concerned if you want to do PRS with a better than average rifle that has a lot of aftermarket customization options.

But wait, my Marlin 60 isn't on any list here.................

For what you are outlining, I think the Bergara B14R would be the best choice. With it being based on the 700 action footprint it gives you a lot of flexibility to customize it later on should you choose to. It would say it is 90-95% as good as the Vudoo at a 3rd of the cost. Don't get me wrong, there is a reason for the extra cost for the extra 5-10%, but I think you would be very happy with the B14R.

I have both as well as many full customs. The Bergara is the best bang for the buck as far as I am concerned if you want to do PRS with a better than average rifle that has a lot of aftermarket customization options.
Thanks, I am going to see if I can find a shop around here that carries one and take a look. I saw on Bud’s that you can also get a barreled action for a B14, so that is an option I hadn’t thought about for a 22.

But wait, my Marlin 60 isn't on any list here.................
It’s semi auto and has a tubular magazine, I already have a Remington 552 with those features. I’m looking for a bolt gun with a detachable magazine.

It’s semi auto and has a tubular magazine, I already have a Remington 552 with those features. I’m looking for a bolt gun with a detachable magazine.

Attempt at humor with all the high end rifles being discussed.

Back