• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Ruger M77 Tang Safety-make a pin

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Gfrost

I picked up an old Ruger M77 tang safety model. It was in rough shape the finish anyway!
I broke down the action in order to refinish the action and than later rebarrel to a different chambering.
Well in doing so I attempted to punch out the ejector plunger pin which was not coming easily, I ended up drilling it out.
Ruger tells me that those pins are no longer available!

So, I thought that I would just make one. Question is what should it be made out of, Drill stock? Or?

Gary

BtoVin83

I have made a lot of pins out of the straight portion of a drill, they're are not hard hard but pretty tough

rgray

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I usually use gauge pins. If you have a set you can find what size is needed and sacrifice it and order a new one, or order the extra to use as your pin.
sometimes the fit is not quite right....say for example you have a minus set of gauge pins and the best fit is slightly loose, then order a plus pin in that diameter to use as your sacrificial pin.

Gfrost

Perfect, thanks guys!! Broken drill bit was the first thing that came to mind but wasn't sure if they might be to hard for that application?
I will give a drill bit a shot! Thanks again!!

Gary

[6]
[5] [7]