Ruger M77 Tang Safety-make a pin

Gfrost

Registered
Registered
I picked up an old Ruger M77 tang safety model. It was in rough shape the finish anyway!
I broke down the action in order to refinish the action and than later rebarrel to a different chambering.
Well in doing so I attempted to punch out the ejector plunger pin which was not coming easily, I ended up drilling it out.
Ruger tells me that those pins are no longer available!

So, I thought that I would just make one. Question is what should it be made out of, Drill stock? Or?

Gary

I have made a lot of pins out of the straight portion of a drill, they're are not hard hard but pretty tough

I usually use gauge pins. If you have a set you can find what size is needed and sacrifice it and order a new one, or order the extra to use as your pin.
sometimes the fit is not quite right....say for example you have a minus set of gauge pins and the best fit is slightly loose, then order a plus pin in that diameter to use as your sacrificial pin.

Perfect, thanks guys!! Broken drill bit was the first thing that came to mind but wasn't sure if they might be to hard for that application?
I will give a drill bit a shot! Thanks again!!

Gary

Back