Rumley Oil Pull 1911 30-60 Model Tractor (My way)

Well I made another cooling tower and gave it a fancy top this is the final version.
I made two exhaust pipes that run into the cooling tower but they are just for looks they don't function.

GEDC4993s.jpg
Made mounts for the gas tank.
The drivers cab and fenders were fabricated and the roof was lowered slightly.

GEDC4996s.jpg

Installed the steering chains back to a manually adjustable arm for now. Maybe something different later.

GEDC5001s.jpg

Thanks for looking

Ray

Looks absolutely great! Were you able to find/install a better band to drive the wheels?

I thought I had found a better belt but not good enough.

That just won't do so the next step is a gear final drive.

Thanks for looking

Ray

The final drive is going to have to be gears. The rubber o-rings are just not up to the task.
I have a set of M.7 gear cutters that I haven't used yet so away we go.

I was so proud of these two gears they fit perfectly and with just the right amount of backlash.
GEDC5014s.jpg

My joy didn't last too long though because when I put the wheel back on and started the engine it went the wrong direction. The tractor was now in permanent reverse.

Now I knew better and had discussed this very situation with my friend when I ordered the gear boxes as we didn't know which way the output shaft would turn.

This shows the final gear drive train after making two more gears.
GEDC5016s.jpg

And here is a video of the tractor on the bench.

Thanks for looking
Ray

This is a video of the tractor out in the grass with the new gear train.

Shortly after this video was taken I started having problems with the engine not running right so I took it completely apart for a rebuild.
I shortened the overall piston length so it and the connecting rod could be removed without removing the crank shaft.
The connecting rod piston end was too loose and getting looser so a new connecting rod was in order.
I also increased the compression ratio from 5 to 6 for easier starting and more power.
The original carburetor was a mixture of parts from a model airplane engine and parts I made but was very touchy and hard to adjust. I made a new one like I have on my other hit-miss engines.
I noticed the intake valve guide inside hole was drilled off center and not a very good fit to the valve stem. This could affect the fuel air ratio as air could be sucked in around the valve stem and not through the carb. A new valve guide and valve were installed.
The hall sensor was not securely attached and was at risk of catching on the magnet so this was secured.
The shrink tubing on the end of the spark plug wire was too long as it didn't allow the wire to come into contact with the spark plug.

In short it was a wonder that the engine ran at all.
Most of the repairs were my own fault as this was my first engine build and didn't know any better.
Engine starts and runs very reliably now.

I bought some decals to finish off the project.
GEDC5026s.jpg

GEDC5024s.jpg

Thanks to everyone who followed the thread and the comments were much appreciated.

Now what to build next?
Ray

I really like this model. Is it all made of metal only? What paint did you use? and what aspect ratio did you choose for this model?
I had almost the same one in full size, the real one. But it was very old and I sold it for good money as an antique. Then I bought myself a new compact tractor from https://www.heming-engineering.co.uk/tractors-and-machinery/rotary-and-flail-mowers and I'm glad of it.
I like such crafts and I would like to try to create something similar myself. I would love to have such a hobby, but I don't really know how to do anything with my own hands. So I only have to watch other people make such beautiful things with their own hands!

Last edited:
I used the "That looks about right" aspect ratio so no mystery here. The paint was from a spray can from the hardware store.
The way to learn any hobby is to start with something simple and work your way up to your expectations.

Ray

Back