rung fu clone RF-45 ZX45 cnc conversion

I have the mill tuned and calibrated ready to make swarf
the cabinet still rattles but the mill is smooth and dead on
it is running a 26" x 9" route at 18 ipm in the video
z axis needs nothing the motor makes no difference running up as it does down and tuned in perfect so i dont need the lift cylinders as per my original plan for the 4200 motor it doesnt even notice the weight of the head.
tomorrow I will make something for the first time and measure it after.
now i need to buy a finger brake and shear and start on the enclosure
steve
[video=youtube;0QVDDqW-O8M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QVDDqW-O8M[/video]

thanks shawn i have been planing this build for years
steve

run a first test cut today on a 1" circle and it was .001 out of round i thought i was all set until i checked repeatability in 20" and I'm loosing steps i lost .045 in 20" on average
I tried recalibrating same thing on long runs
I moved mach3 up from 25khz to 35khz and got an improvement, same old problem windows operating system and mach3 not playing well together.
I ordered a UC100 usb controller from cnc4pc ($110.00) to boost my khz from 35 to 100 and then increase my steps per to 20,000
I had planned on a smooth stepper in my original parts list and decided to try it without one. it didnt work good enough, now i'm opting for the uc100 because it is a direct plug in to my breakout board and uses usb for com.
time for the mills first oil change
steve

Just looked that one up, they certainly pack a lot into a simple DSUB25 shell!

I like the fact that it takes a lot of the load from the computer CPU, so allowing the use of a lower spec computer than would be usual.
You could justify the price on that alone.

M

7hc
plus the fact i dont have to rewire my panel to use the uc100 it just plugs in to parallel port on the controller and a usb in to it.
made a few small parts for a mercury outboard on it today it is dead on on small moves it looses track on long transitions it's in full use now.
i need to get some sheet metal and design an enclosure.
steve

Today went really well a little more tuning while i'm waiting for the new controller and i milled a 1" circle in hot rolled steel for the first time today. it went great I have never had a mill to cut steel like this. i set the machine to 1.9 ipm and a per pass depth of .030 it took 46 minutes to reach a depth of .5 with a $2.00 reground hss endmill i got off ebay. the finish is really smooth and the final piece was 1.001 on x axis and 1.000 on y, it is getting better all the time for accuracy. when It first finished i touched the part and endmill and they were not even warm.
here is a video and a couple pics.
now I have to learn how to mill steel i have never had a mill that would do it before.
steve[video=youtube;0vY1EVfDdNE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vY1EVfDdNE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

DSCF0289.JPG DSCF0290.JPG

Its really doing a good job eating the hot roll steel, I bet your really happy today I'm glad things worked out for you.

Paul

I am but now i have to start a thread to ask a bunch of questions on milling steel I'm new to this my other mills just would not do it well.
steve

Steve

couple of questions if I could. What size end mill? What RPM.

The other thing to note is lots of folks say that recutting your chips is a bad thing. I have a Fog Buster mist coolant system I use on my lathes and mills. It keeps every thing kool and the chips blown out of the cut.

You have done a very good job of converting this mill. I think you will be making a lot of chips with it.

Don't know if you have looked at Gwizard.com. They have a great program for figuring best feeds and speeds for lots of materials. I'm to the point I don't make a cut till I check to see what the program says I should use for feed and speed.

Dave

Back