rung fu clone RF-45 ZX45 cnc conversion

Yes Steve good video thanks. I ran into hiccup on my cnc conversion with my laptop going gunny bag on me and spent the weekend rebuilding my XP system (that M soft wont even talk to yo about) & HP site was hand to hand combat to get the drivers,:bang head: but back on track now and will try a test drive on the Electronics today:chemist:
Yes roadster what was the quote on the nuts??
Bill

If you need to repack a ball nut and have steady hands you can use bearing grease cake it in with a screwdriver or some sort of thick plastic spatula. then you can place the balls onto the tracks with a screwdriver with a little grease on the end. There is usually a half thread of separation between each track. the balls will stay put in the grease with ease (although I have not attempted anything larger than a 2505 screw). At that point if your hand is steady enough you can screw the nut back on in the orientation desired. don't forget the nylon sweeper.

I found this to be easier instead of trying to align the nut and insert balls while threading the screw simultaneously like seen in some of the videos on youtube.

I tried the grease technique on a 1605 ball screw and it worked great.

Hello Steve: I am working on converting my G0484 Mill/Drill to CNC and your build shows me that it can be done. I am using much smaller steppers but will see what happens. Using three 425oz-in/ 4.2A with two 36v/9.6A power supplies. Products from Wanti. Debating on ballscrews for now. If this setup doesn't work as planned, will make it a CNC Plasma Cutter. Thanks again for all your posts. Take care. Burt

Thanks Burt
I think the motors will move the mill the problem comes in when more than one axis has to move at the same speed .
the slowest axis sets the max speed for all the axis moving. the weight of the z axis will require a gear reduction and may greatly
reduce the speed of everything else. It will probably require lift cylinders or counter balance.
I'm curious to see how well it works and please post your results.
I'm often accused of great overkill with my choice of motor sizes. but the one thing I can say is
I have never missed a step machining and If I wished I could run rapids of 200 IPM.
A lot of people want to add feedback to their system to catch a missed step at a great cost for extra electronics, that doesn't correct the error in most cases, it stops machining due to an error.
My approach was to have the power to not miss the step in the first place.
Thanks for your kind review
Steve

Burt,
You can always use timing gears and a belt to gear it down for the smaller steppers. It will impact your rapids speed though. I think the best place for ball screws is Chai on ebay. I got 3 screws, double ball nuts and couplers shipped for $186 if memory serves.
Dave

Steve and Dave:
Thank you for the replies. I am at the point of wiring the enclosure and the motor cables now. At 71 I don't seem to have the soldering ability I used to have. I am driving the Quill in Z rather than the whole head, that comes later. I forgot to mention I am using a 2:1 reduction on all three axes via 5m htd timing belts. Saving up for ballscrews and nuts as the next level of modification. The mods so far are the minimum I could do to see if I can just get a system to run under Mach3 demo control. I will take a look at Chai on ebay and see what he has available these days. I will post pictures once I get something worthwhile to show. Keep up your good works and take care.
Burt

Steve,

I think you said you used 880 stepper for the 4th axis, do you think I can use a 600 or is it to small

Lanham

Hi Lanham
It probably will work if your axis rotates smoothly
Steve

Back