rung fu clone RF-45 ZX45 cnc conversion

i wanted to add a note about the zx45 i havent posted for a while because i have been making parts for my lathe conversion.
normally when i make something there is always something i wish i would have done different but this build to date has been perfect there has not been one problem or change needed and i am using it every day. I like the magnetic splash shields because cleanup is easy and setup up is easier not reaching into a big box. if there are any problems or modifications i will post them for others but so far i could not be happier.
now i need to get my lathe done and make something besides tools and equipment :think1:
steve

I have ordered a direct replacement 3 phase motor and vfd today to increase my spindle speed. it was in my original plans but i held off to see how the mill did without it. the mill did fine but i want it anyway :lmao::lmao::lmao:
total cost less a shipping quote i'm waiting for is motor 149.00 and vfd 118.00.
i was concidering a watercooled 3 phase spindle with inverter but it left me with too large of a gap in speeds the mills max now is 1970rpm and the 3phase spindles minimum was 8000rpm.
the mill is broken in now and there is no spindle temp to speak of at high speed so i'm hoping the increase in rpm will not hurt the bearings...
i'd like to get up to at least 4000 rpm. i can do engraving on my sherline cnc mill if needed.
motor link https://www.machinetoolswarehouse.com/xcart/catalog/Motor-3-phase-2-hp-p-16246.html?keep_https=yes
vfd link http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-QUALIT...556?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46004efa1c
steve

$(KGrHqV,!p0E8WVtCs3ZBPQcG1cmUw~~60_1.jpg p-16246.jpg

I have seen some people mount a high speed spindle to the side of the head. You would get the best of both worlds that way with a slight decrease in work envelope due to it being on the side. I thought it was a great idea in using the table in a dual function without the expense of 2 machines.

Great work on your machine!! Cannot wait to get started on mine.

Chris

You've got a pretty good bang for the buck with both of those items, and looking at the source of the motor you're guaranteed it will be a drop in replacement.
Neat solution for what you're trying to do. :thumbzup:

I added a cup wheel grinder to the mill today, it should come in handy.
steve

DSCF0449.JPG DSCF0450.JPG DSCF0451.JPG

Add a magnetic chuck to the table and you've got a surface grinder. :))

M

I added a cup wheel grinder to the mill today, it should come in handy.
steve

Steve, what speed is the motor for cup grinder, and did you have to do any bushing between cup and motor shaft?

regards
Andrew

the grinder is 3800 rpm 1/5hp and i had to make an adapter to fit the motor shaft 10mm to 20mm cup wheel. it spins really smooth and quiet.
i use this motor as a tool post grinder on my lathe and it works well.
steve

It's about time for a new post......... Just jonesing over here! hehe I certainly enjoy the post and the great progress you have made so quickly. I get new ideas from almost all of your post.

Chris

thanks chris
as far as the build i havent thought of anything more to add until the vfd and motor get here. along with the grinder i also have a 28,000 rpm engraver that will fit in the same bracket as the cup wheel grinder.
I may start a thread where everyone can post pics/vids of what their cnc did today since i do something with one of mine almost everyday.
steve

Back