rung fu clone RF-45 ZX45 cnc conversion

added note:
the spline on my mill spindle is 6 point and a 1" 12 point wrench fits it perfectly, leaving no marks for tightening and loosening the drawbar. i was going to make a wrench until i tried a regular one.
steve

Last edited:
I have thought about that but i really dont need it, the tormach tooling still requires loosening the collet if not a power draw bar and changing the tool by hand. since the column is my z axis, the fast way i do it is with the spindle fine feed i start with the spindle locked down about an inch and a half. and zero the first tool on material that wont be removed, then when i change tools i turn the fine spindle adjustment to rezero each tool at that same location. it costs nothing and dont take long to change er collets. i dont do any production type of work so speed is not a real factor but this method is fast.
the next thing i will be adding is vfd and 3 phase motor for higher spindle speeds. the motor is on backorder until january so thats on hold
everything else is working perfect still, so far all i have had to do i tighten a coupling on the z because i forgot to tighten a set screw. that was an easy fix.
steve

i concidered that but i was not paying attention and have tooling with metric and standard threads. i was paying attention to price and did not notice the thread types. on a good note the zx45 has both threads on the same draw bar, just flip it over and use the other nut. someone in china was thinking when they built it.
steve

Quick note on the Tormach

Steve,
Using the TTS r8 collet, a bolt, and some Belville (probably not the exact name), washers shaped with a bow like this () creates tension to hold the tooling in the R8 collet. No need for a wrench, only downward pressure on the bolt collapsing the bow in the washers slightly to change the tooling collets.
Here is the video that made it crystal clear for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyaZGvcrCB0&feature=player_embedded#!

I know I will be investing in the TTS system when I get up and running.
Chris

Eventually, either air powered or manually, some kind of power drawbar setup is what I am going to need. I will go to the Tormach system.

Steve,

per previous email, here are pics of my mill. I will be converting to cnc to your specs. I'm just waiting on supplies to come in.
rob

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

hi rob
everything I can see does look the same. is the crank for the column on the left side and a square housing?
I will find all the drawings i have and post them here for you in a zip file but i would compare the measurements before making the parts.
also the bearing mount plates were modified for clearance after test fitting.
steve

here are all my drawings i could find in emachineshop(ems) and dxf format.
there are drawings in the folder that were for the cnc lathe conversion and others you will just have to go through them to see what you can use.
the ones for the build were shown in the build thread so they should be easy to pick out.
steve

Attachments

• cnc drawings.zip
    139.8 KB · Views: 99
Back