Running 208v motor on 220v service

Turns out US Electrical Tool is out of business. The plant auction was 4/17/2017. Makes me sad to see an old company like this fold.

Thank you for your advise on the Electrical question!

toolman_ar

Turns out US Electrical Tool is out of business. The plant auction was 4/17/2017. Makes me sad to see an old company like this fold.

Thank you for your advise on the Electrical question!

toolman_ar
I think you will be good on the voltage difference, and especially when you consider the possibility the motor hasn't seen 208v in it's lifetime. It's close to the allowable guidelines.

Oh yeah, should work fine. I ran a 2 HP 208 volt motor on a home made static converter 40 years ago. Motor never got hot. Go for it!

That's true for transformers but not for resistive loads Mike. V over R equals I. Increase V and you will increase I.
Mark S.
ps there may be some goofy inductive effect that makes the current go lower, I don't know
Ohm's law holds for circuits containing only resistive elements (no capacitances or inductances) for all forms of driving voltage or current, regardless of whether the driving voltage or current is constant (DC) or time-varying such as AC. At any instant of time Ohm's law is valid for such circuits.

The formula for three phase motor electrical calculations is : I= HP x 746 / 1.73 x E x Eff x Pf. Since the motor data plate doesn't indicate an efficiency rating or power factor we can only calculate a simple theoretical amperage rating. Amperage (I) at 240V = 3.6. Amperage at 208V = 4.14 . This validates Mike's voltage/current relationship.

Ted

Back