Runout on Delta DP220 ??...

mikey,

I'm measuring at the minor diameter of the Jacobs taper using the DI, it's where I'm coming up with the .010 runout. It's a bit confusing in that the collar in the pic in my original post indicates at .002 runout (??). Am I correct in assuming that if the bearings were an issue it would show at the collar as well as the JT ?? Or am I missing something ??

Only have the one DI (cheap HF DI) so haven't tried looking for needle bounce yet since the lowest speed on this DP is 685rpm according to what was listed in some of the manuals. So I wasn't sure if the needle swing at that speed could be mistaken for bounce or not.

Earlier you referred to running the DI "inside the taper", were you referring to the drive sleeve at the top of the headstock or the male Jacobs taper of the of the spindle ??Trying to check the right areas correctly. Thanks.

Here's the model in question, as well as some before & after pics.....

Delta DP220 drill press.jpg

0724172139.jpg

I took a closer look at the IPB on the Hammerscale site and it looks like the jacobs taper in integral to the spindle, so ignore my remarks about "inside the taper". Basically, if you are measuring a lot of run out at the jacobs taper then the taper is bad, the spindle is bent (unlikely) or the bearings are shot. If the bearings are bad then both the two spindle bearings and the drive bearing at the top should be changed. The critical thing are those sleeves inside the bearing - if they are pressed into a standard sized bearing then I would personally change them to a sealed, deep groove bearing and press the sleeves into them.

I recommend sealed bearings because the ones from Hammerscale are not sealed. They don't even look shielded. This means they have to be maintained, as in greased periodically, and that means you need to disassemble the drill press from time to time for maintenance. Sealed bearings don't require this and the deep groove ones will handle axial and radial loads much better, which means more accuracy and longer life. If this was my project, I would call Hammerscale and ask if the sleeves can be pressed out and inserted into a new sealed bearing.

Sorry to run on but yes, if a clean section of the JT (or actually any ground surface up near the end of the spindle) is showing excessive run out and it is due to the bearings, you will see the indicator jump around and it may jump a lot. If it does then those bearings are likely worn. If they are the original bearings, and especially if the PO did not maintain them, then they are very likely in need of replacement.

Another thing to look for as a bearing problem is if the high/low indication points don't repeat at the same places since the out of round
bearings " rollers" don't travel as far as the race does in a rotation.

Back