Rusnok Model 80

CajonRat

Registered
Registered
Greetings all, My boss went to an auction and bought a few pallets of useful machine shop stuff. On one of the pallets was an old beat up Rusnok mill. After sitting in the corner collecting dust for a few years, the boss man needed some space and the little Rooski ended up in the bed of my pick-up. Stoked, I took the little feller home and gave it a bath. It was dirty but in decent shape, the only problem I found were the gibs worked their way loose and got hammered. The y axis gib was bent up into a U shape and the x was bent in several places. I straightened them as best I could, but the critters need to be replaced. The gibs are just .116 x .344 flat bars of ??? cut to length with 1/8 holes drilled about inches from one end. If I can't get parts from Electro Mechano, would anyone hazard to guess what type of material these might be made out of?

If they are bent in a U shape then they are not cast iron! My guess is steel if they look like steel. Pics would sure help, most of us here have no idea what the insides of a Rusnok look like! Gibs can be and are made to fit on a regular basis. They should then be scraped in for full bearing. The gibs you have may not be the originals...

Welcome to the site!

Last edited:
Hi CajonRat,

Welcome to the site.

I must echo Bob's request for pictures. The gibs could be made of many different things.
I'll see if I can find any documents......

-brino

okay,

I found an exploded view/parts list here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=5324
however it doesn't say what model it's for.......and unfortunately, just list them as "gibs" with no hint towards material used.

Did you have a read thru this:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/rusnok/index.html
perhaps it could help......

Both of the above also give contact info for Electro Mechano, hopefully even if they do not have parts they would guide you with material for making replacements.....

Good Luck!
-brino

You came to the right place.

That might sound foreign, but it's made in Chicago. The Gibs are basically ground steel. You can source the many places. The type of steel is not terribly important, as long as it's nice and straight and smooth. You may want to try to flake it to give some pockets of oil so you can tighten the gibs up. That is a really incredibly accurate machine. You can adjust the feed knots to almost 0 backlash underneath. Wait to you see.
I can get you a better parts diagram. I run a Rusnok group on Yahoo.
Let me see how to post things like that here.
I just replaced my gib, in the same condition as yours, a month ago.

Bernie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back