Rust and a Model 94- How to remove it?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
A coworker has a neglected Winchester 94. He asked me if I would clean and oil it. He said I was the last one to service it about ten years ago.
Please see the pics.
What is the best-easiest way to clean off the rust?
Thanks

Attachments

• rust 1.jpg
    rust 1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 100
  • rust 2.jpg
    rust 2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 103
  • rust 3.jpg
    rust 3.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 111
Remember that your fiend cannot leave the rifle with you unless you have a gunsmith FFL. He has to be there. The only way around this that I know of is to remove all of the rusted parts and have him take the receiver when he leaves.

Remember that your fiend cannot leave the rifle with you unless you have a gunsmith FFL. He has to be there. The only way around this that I know of is to remove all of the rusted parts and have him take the receiver when he leaves.
Is that a nationwide thing or just a California thing?

Don't know for sure if it is nationwide. On some of the gunsmithing forums I frequent the general consensus seems to be not to work on other peoples firearms unless you have a gunsmith FFL

Right, He is attached to my hip.
He shares my name, Jeff. We have a spare bedroom for him when I clean his rifle.
Perfectly legal.

Ah, does anyone know about the rust?
Oh, by the way. The owner and I discovered the rust is actually a coating that looks like rust.
He is staying for dinner as we determine the best action before he takes his rifle home with him.
See the pics. The firing pin has varnished lubricant on one side. This rifle hasn't seen any TLC in some time.

Attachments

• 94  1.jpg
    94 1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 94 2.jpg
    94 2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 94 4.jpg
    94 4.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 94 3.jpg
    94 3.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 94 5.jpg
    94 5.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 94 6.jpg
    94 6.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 94 7.jpg
    94 7.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 66
I use g96. Seems really good it’s a cleaner and oil in one. Good for what you ask of doesn’t look to bad.

I use Remoil and 0000 steel wool... for the hard to reach areas, wrap the steel wool over the end of a piece of wood.

Don't scrub hard... let the wool do the work...

-Bear

I use Remoil and 0000 steel wool... for the hard to reach areas, wrap the steel wool over the end of a piece of wood.

Don't scrub hard... let the wool do the work...

-Bear
The bluing on the outside of the receiver shows light peck marks of rust.
I was thinking of using 0000 and remoil very lightly.
Winchester must have experimented with different coatings. This redish stuff is not on my 2006 model.
This is a 79 model.
unless you have a gunsmith FFL
I do have a FFL 03, curios and relics.
Since I lost all my guns in the fire I'm just going to let it lapse.

Back