Rust and a Model 94- How to remove it?

Blue wonder gun cleaner. Just use a soft rag. Oxpho blue is about the easiest cold blue to use but I wouldn’t do that unless I really had to.

I also wouldn’t use steel wool (well at least the super fine stuff). They make a stainless steel that looks like a birds nest that is good for this in extreme cases. It is much larger strings of it. I have a couple but am out of the country right now so can’t give you an exact name. I will see if I can find them. They aren’t anything special, but not standard steel wool.

Last edited:
Blue wonder gun cleaner. Just use a soft rag. Oxpho blue is about the easiest cold blue to use but I wouldn’t do that unless I really had to.

I also wouldn’t use steel wool. They make a stainless steel that looks like a birds nest that is good for this in extreme cases.
Blue Wonder? Lol. What marketing wonder-boy came up with that? Makes chemist iffy too. Don't think that'd sell around these parts.
[editing in] I directed that insinuation on marketing, where emphasizing a RED label and chemical could've been used to advantage over BLUE.
Tough room!
I'm not always serious, just committed.

Last edited:
The Blue Wonder is probably a strong glycol ether cleaner (anything from ethylene glycol monoethyl ether to dipropylene glycol dibutyl ether- these are Cellosolv+ derivatives, like Simple Green). Very good stuff, cleans metal particulates from pores, cuts oils, non-toxic and non-damaging.

Generally ,64 to 79 Model 94s were iron plated over the cast reciever metal.....if the iron plate is removed ,the reciever wont blue,but rather turn red......from 79 to 82 some recievers are machined steel,some are cast leftovers used on closeouts.....

Generally ,64 to 79 Model 94s were iron plated over the cast reciever metal.....if the iron plate is removed ,the reciever wont blue,but rather turn red......from 79 to 82 some recievers are machined steel,some are cast leftovers used on closeouts.....
Somewhat akin to miscellany of Ford brake components; each minimized to cover a specific application without any fraction of reserve capability.
I'd wonder J. M. B. and Henry both have turned over once or twice in their graves.

I work in a gun shop and do this work daily for customers and to firearms we have purchased for resale. We use a copper penny and rem oil. Penny needs to be pre 1985 when they were primarily copper.
Spray with the oil, scrape with the penny holding it near parallel to the surface. Go over it again with 0000 steel wool. Wipe and repeat. We get rusty guns in every day. I have also soaked with Kroil overnight with good results.

Back