Rust Prevention

shell70634

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I will soon start on my M151A1 restoration. I will be working outside but under cover. There will be lots of panels welded in. What could I use to temporarily keep the new panels from rusting? This is a long term project and there will times I won't work on it for weeks. It doesn't take long for rust to form here in Louisiana. My plan is to use cheap primer because most or all of it will be removed later.

Paint or primer would be the standard treatment. Rust conversion (oxpho rust) is another possibility, but it would not work as well as paint or primer in your climate. I would guess that your plan is to paint your jeep, so avoid anything that interferes with paint, such as oil or cosmolene... :cower:

Eventually I'll repaint the whole thing. This would be to just protect the panels while I'm working on another area. Maybe I'll buy the primer that is made for the military period correct paint I will use in the end. That way I won't have problems with the final coat staying on.

I think that is by far the best solution. That way you could sand it, you could fill it, or you could just feather it in later.

When you say period-correct paint, do you mean just the color code, or are you getting super-serious by matching the paint type, too?

I know they were painted with semi-gloss enamel and there are vendors that sell the proper type and color code. I'm trying to build the m151a1 I was assigned in 1977. Semi-gloss OD, white markings and red fenders.

I wish I could restore a Bradley or the M88A1 I was assigned to... How cool would it be to have one of them around the yard?

Sounds like a fun and rewarding project!

Back in the late 90's I rebuilt a 1946 Willys. The body was beyond using so I ordered a replica from the Philippines. It came with a heavy coat of enamel with no primer. Paint remover easily took the paint off in literally sheets, leaving bare unrusted metal ready to prime. Was a great way to protect it for delivery.

Greg

I'd not use a primer, it is made to be porous and will likely be hydrophilic and cause more rusting than bare metal.

I was told when I was a kid that primer is not paint and I shouldn't use it that way. Maybe I'm worried about nothing. It's just hard to work on a project steady. Maybe I should turn off the phone and lock the gates for a week. Maybe get something done then.

I will soon start on my M151A1 restoration. I will be working outside but under cover. There will be lots of panels welded in. What could I use to temporarily keep the new panels from rusting? This is a long term project and there will times I won't work on it for weeks. It doesn't take long for rust to form here in Louisiana. My plan is to use cheap primer because most or all of it will be removed later.
I have some weld thru primer I got at scratch and dent sale. It’s made to paint clean metal and then you’re supposed to be able to weld right through it. I’ve got at least two 5’s of the stuff I’d make a deal on.
tim

Back