Rust Protection - Boeshield or Fluid Film?

hamholfarm

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I would like to know from those who have used either product of your opinions. If you have used both, I would like to know which you prefer and why. My use would be for mostly metalworking equipment and a few pieces of woodworking equipment in an unheated/un-air-conditioned shop (pole building). The temperature fluctuates from below freezing in winter, to possibly 100*F in the summer and with high humidity.

I wrote to Customer Service at "theruststore dot com" and asked which product would be best for my situation, Boeshield, Fluid Film, or Bull Frog Rust Blocker. This is the response I received.

“You can think of T-9 as a wax, and Fluid Film as a Grease. T-9 will remain liquid to the touch if left thick, and will form a micro thin waxy layer if the excess is removed. Fluid Film will remain about the consistency of Vaseline. Either can be used well in ways or sliding parts.”

“Rust Blocker sets to a thick candle wax consistency and I would not recommend it for your situation.”

I am still unsure of which product would be the best for protection, as well as easy to use.

I appreciate your assistance.

Chip

I have both Boeshield and Fluid Film on the shelf and use both. The descriptions above are good. The thing I don't like about Fluid Film is the strong lanolin odor. Some may not mind that. I use Boeshield on tools that I use or handle with some frequency. I use Fluid Film for things that sit unused. For example, my table saw will probably be idle all winter. I covered it with a layer of Fluid film. They both seem to work equally well but I have not done a formal test. The Fluid Film generally should be wiped off before use.
Robert

Last edited:
I have a gallon of the fluid film and it is like enamel paint and I called fluid film and they said I could thin it with vegetable oil and I have done that and made it usable. the fluid film in the spray can is then But not sure of its protection as thin as it is. But since I started to watch some videos on auto work many times in the rust belt the majority of them use spray fluid film on everything axles bearing lug nuts and any metal surface so I am no using it and testing

I forgot. Both of my products I use the spray can.
Robert

I use a product called INOX MX3. I use it as a cutting fluid on the lathe and when drilling holes etc.. Its also a very good penetrant and rust preventer. As I'm using it on the lathe everything is covered in a light film, and nothing is going rusty, all still shiny. I get it in a 5Lt. container and decant it into a couple of small squirt bottles that I use for everything. Far superior to rp7, wd40, crc etc.

Google Ed's Red. Homemade, cheap, works great. I make mine to a recipe of
1 part anhydrous lanolin (from eBay)
1 part ATF
5 parts mineral spirits
Heat the lanolin carefully until it is completely melted, then mix in the other two ingredients. That mixture works well for everything in the shop -- tools, machines, and metal stock. Apply a wet coat and let it dry. It leaves a nearly invisible, dry to the touch coating.

Google Ed's Red. Homemade, cheap, works great. I make mine to a recipe of
1 part anhydrous lanolin (from eBay)
1 part ATF
5 parts mineral spirits
Heat the lanolin carefully until it is completely melted, then mix in the other two ingredients. That mixture works well for everything in the shop -- tools, machines, and metal stock. Apply a wet coat and let it dry. It leaves a nearly invisible, dry to the touch coating.

That sounds really promising Bob. I'll have to try that when my can of Fluidfilm finally gives up the ghost. I have and use all the different Boeshield and Fluid Film in a can. Fluid film works the best for me and I'm close to the ocean. I also use the Frog foam squares for stuff in a storage container and it's incredible. But doesn't work for machinery because it works best in a contained space. If you have smaller stuff that you can put in a plastic sealed tote un rusted it will stay perfect for as long as the tote is sealed. I found some totes with a soft seal that work perfect at Target. Those parts I powdercoat so I can't put anything on it so Frog is perfect.

That sounds really promising Bob. I'll have to try that when my can of Fluidfilm finally gives up the ghost.
It is actually quite similar to Fluidfilm, except for the cost... And you can tweak the recipe in any direction that makes sense to meet your needs.

I use this,
LPS 3 Premier Rust Inhibitor
Does a fine job.

I protect my machines with ISO 64 hydraulic oil.

Ed's Red would be a first choice for longer term rust prevention.

Back