Rust Protection - Boeshield or Fluid Film?

I use Johnson paste wax on my woodworking tool tops. A thin coat rubbed in well once a year does the trick for me. If it's cold heating lightly with a heat gun makes quick work of rubbing it in. My shop is only heated when needed during the winter and never air conditioned. What I like about it for woodworking tools is it doesn't need to be removed before use. I do use T9 on some of hand tools, wiping off any excess. I tried T9 on the top of my table saw but found that it always left residue on wood even if I wiped it down very well. Completely removing it before each use was not acceptable to me. A 1lb can of paste wax costs about $7 and lasts a long time. I've been on my first can for about 15 years.

Having read all ,your pro's and con's. I'll stick with my INOX MX3, Ok it's not cheap but neither was my lathe, and a little goes a long way, and it does work. Also being useful for a number of things means I don't have to keep other stuff around.

BTW I did see one recipe for Ed's Red on the internet that includes Inox or Lanox in the recipe. Lanox is a partner product and yes it does contain lanolin.

I notice a number of members complain about the smell of lanolin, It occurs to me that as Americans generally don't eat lamb, and very few sheep are farmed in US, whereas here in Aus we have many times more sheep than people, and we regularly eat sheep meat which would explain why the smell of lanolin does not bother us, in fact we often use it to soften our skin in our desert like climate.

Bob,

Is your version of Ed's Red spray-able in a squirt bottle? Does it solidify after it cools down?

Thanks
My version was only developed for my own usage in my home shop. Anybody is welcome (and encouraged!) to try making some and using it as much as they want to.

Does anyone have a spray-able version of Ed's Red they would share?

Thanks

Pump spray is not the way I'd go, they don't hold up. I use these metal one that you pressurize with a compressor.image.jpeg

Does anyone have a spray-able version of Ed's Red they would share?

Thanks
My version should be spray-able, it is light bodied, clear, and has nothing floating around in it if the lanolin is fully melted when mixed with the hydrocarbons. That might change if the temperature is brought down to below sunny California temperatures. I have not tried to spray it, I find many to most sprays wasteful and messy.

me too when one goes dry. I've got a super penetrant mix in the big one( 50-50 ATF + acetone great stuff!) and way lube in the little one. Both those Sure Shots are over 40yrs old and just keep on squirtin'. I think I've got another little Sure Shot around here somewhere so maybe that's the one I'll try some Ed's Red in.

I use and make the eds red for gun cleaning a gallon mixed up if I remember the last I made came out to about $15.00 with enough other ingredients to almost make another gallon . The lanolin is what's best for rust proofing . By the oil or the paste and smear it on. The farmers who had sheep wondered why where ever the sheep rubbed metal it never got rusty ,, rocket science right Yes at one time in my life I cleaned some of the most valuable guns used. And was always recommended and given good tip money. On average a three day shoot would net three hundred dollars and pay my entry fees to shoot. Long days but it kept me being able to afford to shoot competition trap for years.

Back